Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Shan Kajendran <sh...@adsgroup.com> on 2003/08/19 14:04:49 UTC

Extending Batik to SVG1.2

Hi Genies

I know that Batik is supporting SVG 1.1 specification. When W3C enhance
the SVG SPEC features (example SVG1.2), How Batik is going to support
these enhancements. I can't find any document in the Batik home page
about the enhancements to SVG SPEC.

Any idea?

Thanks
Shan

Re: Extending Batik to SVG1.2

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Shan Kajendran wrote:
> Hi Genies
>
> I know that Batik is supporting SVG 1.1 specification. When W3C enhance
> the SVG SPEC features (example SVG1.2), How Batik is going to support
> these enhancements. I can't find any document in the Batik home page
> about the enhancements to SVG SPEC.
>
> Any idea?

Hi Shan,

     There is already some work in this area in the
Batik extensions (batik.extension.svg package).  There are complete
working implementations of multiImage, and solidColor.  There is also
a limited implementation of flowText (mostly it just supports rects
rather than arbitrary regions).  All this work has taken place
in the Batik Namespace to make it clear that these are not part of
SVG yet.

     These sorts of extensions are handled very nicely by the Batik
extensibility architecture. I haven't looked at how easy (or difficult)
it might be to add support for things like Rcc which may require some
modification of the Batik architecture.

     As SVG 1.2 becomes more real some effort should be focused on
how to move these from the Batik Namespace into the SVG namespace for
documents that reference SVG 1.2 (via the version attribute presumably).
This shouldn't be too hard given the bridge architecture in place.

     What sort of things are you looking at/interested in?