Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Günter Gratzer <Gu...@abf.co.at> on 2007/02/21 17:04:26 UTC

svn:externals question

Hello,

have a question about using svn:externals property.

I'm converting a Microsoft Source Save Database to Subversion with the following structure:

Forms

            ABF_LIB

            Change_Management

            FMB & Menus

            Library

In my working directory I want to put all files from 'Forms' und all the subdirectories (ABF_LIB, Change_Management, FMB & Menus, Library) together.

I tried to use the svn:externals property on 'Forms' but I don't know how to specify the local directory (I don't want a subdirectory!).

Is it only possible to use subdirectorys? Is there another solution?

Günter

Re: svn:externals question

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 2/21/07, Günter Gratzer <Gu...@abf.co.at> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> have a question about using svn:externals property.
>

> I'm converting a Microsoft Source Save Database to Subversion with the
> following structure:
>
> Forms
>
>             ABF_LIB
>
>             Change_Management
>
>             FMB & Menus
>
>             Library
>

> In my working directory I want to put all files from 'Forms' und all the
> subdirectories (ABF_LIB, Change_Management, FMB & Menus, Library) together.
>
> I tried to use the svn:externals property on 'Forms' but I don't know how to
> specify the local directory (I don't want a subdirectory!).
>

> Is it only possible to use subdirectorys? Is there another solution?

svn:externals only allows use of a subdirectory. Basically, it says to
Subversion "make a subdirectory here called X, and check out the
contents of this URL to X". This directory is not a member of the
parent working copy. You cannot mix the contents of an external with
the contents of the current directory.