Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2016/09/16 07:43:40 UTC

[VOTE] ASL2 header in README files?

Hi Devs,

There are mixed opinions about putting or not the ASL2 header in OFBiz README files.

One one hand we can read at http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#faq-exceptions that README files don't require a header

But to protect our work we can decide to put a header in all README files (with or w/o suffixes). It's all or none to be consistent.

Since License is an important matter I think a vote is necessary to define our policy.

So please vote

[+1] include a header in all README files

[-1] do not include a header in any README files

[0] Undecided

I will close this vote in a week, thanks for your time !

Jacques

Re: [VOTE] ASL2 header in README files?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 16/09/2016 � 10:21, Jacopo Cappellato a �crit :
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 9:43 AM, Jacques Le Roux <
> jacques.le.roux@les7arts.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Devs,
>>
>> There are mixed opinions about putting or not the ASL2 header in OFBiz
>> README files.
>>
>> One one hand we can read at http://www.apache.org/legal/sr
>> c-headers.html#faq-exceptions that README files don't require a header
>>
>> But to protect our work we can decide to put a header in all README files
>> (with or w/o suffixes). It's all or none to be consistent.
>>
>> Since License is an important matter I think a vote is necessary to define
>> our policy.
>>
>> So please vote
>>
>> [+1] include a header in all README files
>>
>> [-1] do not include a header in any README files
>>
>> [0] Undecided
>>
>> I will close this vote in a week, thanks for your time !
>>
>> Jacques
>>

> In my opinion this vote is not valid and should be cancelled.
> My reasoning is the following: the result of this vote may be against the
> ASF license policy and as a project we are not allowed to change the ASF
> license policy by vote. In fact our codebase is licensed by the ASF and not
> by OFBiz.
>
> Why am I saying that the result of this vote may be against the ASF license
> policy?
>
> If we decide to "not include a header in any README files" then we will
> violate the following [*]:
>
> "A file without any degree of creativity in either its literal elements or
> its structure is not protected by copyright law; therefore, such a file
> does not require a license header. If in doubt about the extent of the
> file's creativity, add the license header to the file."
>
> In fact it would be difficult to state that the following file (for
> example) does't contain "any degree of creativity":
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/ofbiz/trunk/README.md?view=markup
>
> In fact it contains useful documentation that was contributed by different
> people who spent time crafting its content.
>
> When in doubt, we should add the license header (as stated in the document
> that Jacques and I referenced); or we can omit it if we judge that the file
> doesn't contain any degree of creativity.
> But definitely we can't blindly decide by vote for all the files matching a
> name (i.e. README) as proposed by Jacques in this vote.
> Since deciding on a case by case may be tricky and even subjective, my
> *personal* preference would be to add to all the files the license header.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Jacopo
>
> [*] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#faq-exceptions

Thinking about it, I think I asked the wrong question because of my consistency obsession.

Actually if we are able to decide that the README. MD should have a license (which I agree with); I don't see why we should not be able to decide that
a file like the README in runtime/log does not need a license.

My point is we don't need to add useless lines in OFBiz, even for the sake of consistency.
On the other hand it's much easier to decide to add the ASL2 license everywhere because we can automate it with a S/R

But mmm, are we not somehow deciding something like if we have voted for adding "ASL2 header in README files"?

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
You are wrong there.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Pierre,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
What license would you propose? Remember we are an Apache project, which of course does not mean we must use the ASL2 license, but simplifies
potential users evaluation regarding the licensing aspect.

Jacques

Le 16/09/2016 � 10:43, Pierre Smits a �crit :

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
We are on the same page: if there is no doubt about the fact that a given
file (not just readme files) doesn't contain any degree of creativity then
the license header is not required.

Jacopo

On Sat, Sep 17, 2016 at 9:07 AM, Jacques Le Roux <

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Jacopo,

I'm glad we also agree about not blindly putting an Alv2 header in all readme files

Jacques

Le 17/09/2016 � 08:42, Jacopo Cappellato a �crit :

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Jacques,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I cancel this vote because it makes no sense to force to have an ASL2 headers in ALL readme files as I described them

Jacques

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Some love to discuss (and digress), Jacques.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 16/09/2016 � 12:08, Jacopo Cappellato a �crit :

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
+1

Le 16/09/2016 � 10:32, Jacopo Cappellato a �crit :

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacopo, yeah it's good to have that file. I meant specifically for
"Markdown" because we had an issue of formatting. After a bit of research I
realized that HTML comments in Markdown will be ignored in most Markdown
readers including github's reader. In fact we should update that file to
include Markdown as a target for the HTML comments

On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 12:02 PM, Jacopo Cappellato <

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
I agree Jacopo. After a little bit of research I realized that we can add
the header license without affecting the format by using html comment
format <!-- comment -->

Therefore I think it is wise to keep the license header in all of our files

On Sep 16, 2016 11:32 AM, "Jacopo Cappellato" <

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.