Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by "Blower, Andy" <An...@proquest.co.uk> on 2012/08/21 13:59:09 UTC

T5.3.5 candidate release dependency issue - yuicompressor

Hi,

Having trouble installing the latest version of tapestry-yuicompressor for the candidate release being voted on, T5.3.5.

It seems that the organisation for the yuicompressor module was changed from "com.yahoo.platform.yui" to "com.google.code.maven-play-plugin.com.yahoo.platform.yui" in T5.3.3, but since I've not updated since T5.3.2 was released I've not run into this issue. Basically I can't resolve this dependency. I can find "com.yahoo.platform.yui/yuicompressor/2.4.7" but not " com.google.code.maven-play-plugin.com.yahoo.platform.yui/yuicompressor/2.4.7" anywhere.

What is the reason for this org change and what can I do to resolve this dependency? The rest of 5.3.5 looks good, but I can't +1 until this is resolved, although it's probably a simple thing.

For info, here are the lines from my Ivy.xml dependency files for tapestry-yuicompressor, 5.3.2 first and 5.3.5 second.

<dependency org="com.yahoo.platform.yui" name="yuicompressor" rev="2.4.6" force="true" conf="compile->compile(*),master(*);runtime->runtime(*)"/>

<dependency org="com.google.code.maven-play-plugin.com.yahoo.platform.yui" name="yuicompressor" rev="2.4.7" force="true" conf="compile->compile(*),master(*);runtime->runtime(*)"/>

Thanks,

Andy.

RE: T5.3.5 candidate release dependency issue - yuicompressor

Posted by "Blower, Andy" <An...@proquest.co.uk>.
I finally managed to install it, figured out that it needed a new repository configuring.

http://maven-play-plugin.googlecode.com/svn/mavenrepo/releases/

I'm still curious as to the reason for the change since there seems to be a version of yuicompressor 2.4.7 on

http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/com.yahoo.platform.yui/yuicompressor/2.4.7

Posted by Denis Stepanov <de...@gmail.com>.
YUICompressor generates invalid JavaScript for me, maybe because of the Rhino conflict I don't know. I have switched to the Google Closure compiler it has better compression rate, better api and can even detect some IE only errors, from the svn repo it looks like it is an active project. For CSS compression I'm using CssCompressor class extracted from the YUI, it is only a single class without dependencies.

Denis

Denis

Re: T5.3.5 candidate release dependency issue - yuicompressor

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
<ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Kalle Korhonen
>> <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> 2.4.7 wasn't available in Maven central for 5.3.4, see discussion at
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-1729. The pom specifies the
>>> correct repository. However, I can see 2.4.7 with the usual GAV
>>> coordinates is now available in central. Obtaining the play-compiled
>>> 2.4.7 seems to be a in issue for users, Howard, would you consider
>>> stopping the release and fixing this for 5.3.5 final?
>>>
>> That would require a -1 vote and for me to redo the release.
>> There's a bigger issue, that YUICompressor at runtime sometimes
>> conflicts with the Rhino JS engine built into the JDK.  It's been very
>> frustrating that things work correctly in my test environment, but
>> something in my client's deployment environment breaks YUICompressor
>> pretty severely.
>
> Regarding the vote, I wasn't suggest you should stop it, but merely
> noting the possibility. As the release manager you can always stop the
> release for any reason though, or ignore -1's and go ahead with the
> release as long as you have the minimum binding votes... But boy, do
> you move fast :) I now see you withdrew the vote. I was going to
> suggest that perhaps we need to consider Lenny's solution for the
> rhino conflicts in the next release.

I agree. I would appreciate some help on getting this correctly resolved!

> Kalle

>> --
>> Howard M. Lewis Ship
>>
>> Creator of Apache Tapestry

>> (971) 678-5210
>> http://howardlewisship.com

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: T5.3.5 candidate release dependency issue - yuicompressor

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
My binding -1 vote carries slightly more weight.

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us> wrote:
> I got a -1 vote in :)
>

> On Aug 21, 2012, at 12:50 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Kalle Korhonen
>> <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> 2.4.7 wasn't available in Maven central for 5.3.4, see discussion at
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-1729. The pom specifies the
>>> correct repository. However, I can see 2.4.7 with the usual GAV
>>> coordinates is now available in central. Obtaining the play-compiled
>>> 2.4.7 seems to be a in issue for users, Howard, would you consider
>>> stopping the release and fixing this for 5.3.5 final?
>>>
>>> Kalle
>>
>> That would require a -1 vote and for me to redo the release.
>>
>> There's a bigger issue, that YUICompressor at runtime sometimes
>> conflicts with the Rhino JS engine built into the JDK.  It's been very
>> frustrating that things work correctly in my test environment, but
>> something in my client's deployment environment breaks YUICompressor
>> pretty severely.

>> --
>> Howard M. Lewis Ship
>>
>> Creator of Apache Tapestry

>> (971) 678-5210
>> http://howardlewisship.com

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: T5.3.5 candidate release dependency issue - yuicompressor

Posted by Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us>.
I got a -1 vote in :)

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
<ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2.4.7 wasn't available in Maven central for 5.3.4, see discussion at
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAP5-1729. The pom specifies the
> correct repository. However, I can see 2.4.7 with the usual GAV
> coordinates is now available in central. Obtaining the play-compiled
> 2.4.7 seems to be a in issue for users, Howard, would you consider
> stopping the release and fixing this for 5.3.5 final?
>
> Kalle

That would require a -1 vote and for me to redo the release.

There's a bigger issue, that YUICompressor at runtime sometimes
conflicts with the Rhino JS engine built into the JDK.  It's been very
frustrating that things work correctly in my test environment, but
something in my client's deployment environment breaks YUICompressor
pretty severely.

> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 4:59 AM, Blower, Andy
> <An...@proquest.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Having trouble installing the latest version of tapestry-yuicompressor for the candidate release being voted on, T5.3.5.
>>
>> It seems that the organisation for the yuicompressor module was changed from "com.yahoo.platform.yui" to "com.google.code.maven-play-plugin.com.yahoo.platform.yui" in T5.3.3, but since I've not updated since T5.3.2 was released I've not run into this issue. Basically I can't resolve this dependency. I can find "com.yahoo.platform.yui/yuicompressor/2.4.7" but not " com.google.code.maven-play-plugin.com.yahoo.platform.yui/yuicompressor/2.4.7" anywhere.
>>
>> What is the reason for this org change and what can I do to resolve this dependency? The rest of 5.3.5 looks good, but I can't +1 until this is resolved, although it's probably a simple thing.
>>
>> For info, here are the lines from my Ivy.xml dependency files for tapestry-yuicompressor, 5.3.2 first and 5.3.5 second.
>>
>> <dependency org="com.yahoo.platform.yui" name="yuicompressor" rev="2.4.6" force="true" conf="compile->compile(*),master(*);runtime->runtime(*)"/>
>>
>> <dependency org="com.google.code.maven-play-plugin.com.yahoo.platform.yui" name="yuicompressor" rev="2.4.7" force="true" conf="compile->compile(*),master(*);runtime->runtime(*)"/>
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Andy.

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: T5.3.5 candidate release dependency issue - yuicompressor

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.