Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ra...@itdz-berlin.de on 2006/02/06 17:41:54 UTC

Tomcat logrotation

Hello,

I haven't yet installed the lib4j and defind an appender.

Since I'm more used to the old fashioned Unix way to rotate logs
(and have it working this way for the Apache httpd logs)
I would like to employ logrotate.

However, in the logrotate.conf for any server's logfiles you
usually have to specify
a postrotate command or script which eventually would release
locks on logfile handles
and reinitialize the daemon.
Since daemons are running dissociated of a controlling tty they
actualy have no need
for the SIGHUP why most daemon developers implement a signal
handler that would
reinitialize the daemon if it caught a SIGHUP.

However, when I try to send the master Java thread it blatantly
dies
like any ordinary shell proc.

I there another "official" signal or call to use,
or will I have to run a full blown restart?

N.b. when I send it SIGUSR1 it dies,
whereas when I send SIGUSR2 it doesn't care at all.

Rgds
Ralph