Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Earwin Burrfoot <ea...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/06 01:22:20 UTC

Term space continuity

A random thought from some of the earlier discussions.

Had anybody used the fact that Lucene Term space is continuous (single
per-index/segment space instead of separate per-field spaces) at least
once?
I only see code around that copes with this somehow, like checking
"term.field() == field" just about everywhere we iterate the terms -
queries, fieldcaches.

Why don't we isolate fields from each other at least API-wise?

ICQ: 104465785

Re: Term space continuity

Posted by Earwin Burrfoot <ea...@gmail.com>.
Wow! Cool.

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 03:51, Michael McCandless
<lu...@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> The flex API isolates fields, ie you get a TermsEnum for a given field
> and it enums only the term's text (as a BytesRef).
>
> Mike
>
> On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 7:22 PM, Earwin Burrfoot <ea...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> A random thought from some of the earlier discussions.
>>
>> Had anybody used the fact that Lucene Term space is continuous (single
>> per-index/segment space instead of separate per-field spaces) at least
>> once?
>> I only see code around that copes with this somehow, like checking
>> "term.field() == field" just about everywhere we iterate the terms -
>> queries, fieldcaches.
>>
>> Why don't we isolate fields from each other at least API-wise?
>>
>> --
>> Kirill Zakharenko/Кирилл Захаренко (earwin@gmail.com)
>> Home / Mobile: +7 (495) 683-567-4 / +7 (903) 5-888-423
>> ICQ: 104465785

ICQ: 104465785

Re: Term space continuity

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.