Posted to dev@abdera.apache.org by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/20 18:52:07 UTC

IRI Implementation

All,

As part of the Abdera incubation project I've implemented support for
IRIs that includes unicode normalization, IDNA, punycode, etc.  This
code duplicates a subset of what is provided by ICU [1] in a much
smaller package.  The intention (tho not the current reality) has been
to make it so that if ICU was present, it's unicode and IDNA
implementation would be used instead.

In any case, I was wondering if there would be interest in separating
the Abdera IRI implementation out into it's own commons project so that
it can be available for more than just Abdera.  Use of IRIs is growing
and there are currently no other implementations available to Java
developers that do not depend on ICU.

- James

[1] http://icu.sourceforge.net/

Re: IRI Implementation

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

-- dims

Re: IRI Implementation

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

Re: IRI Implementation

Posted by Harris Boyce III <ha...@gmail.com>.
I'm +1 on that as there is only IDNA support in .NET and will need to
implement it anyway for the Abdera impl.

Harris

Re: IRI Implementation

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.
Ok, I think we have enough +1's then on this to move forward.  From what
I've been able to determine, the Jakarta commons is likely the best
catcher for this.

I'm not all that familiar with the process of getting a new commons
project up and running so it would be excellent if someone with more
experience in that area could step up and help guide the process.
Following the Abdera 0.2.0 release (and likely following the Christmas
holiday) I will start to extract out the IRI/Unicode stuff into it's own
package so it can be easily migrated over to the commons repository.

- James

Re: IRI Implementation

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: IRI Implementation

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: IRI Implementation

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: IRI Implementation

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: IRI Implementation

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Re: IRI Implementation

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Re: IRI Implementation

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi, I found IRI in org.apache.abdera.util.iri ... what
packages/classes do you expect to put out to commons? Is there any
refactoring required first to make it self contained.

Thanks,
Jeremy

(this might be a repeat ... sorry)

Re: IRI Implementation

Posted by James M Snell <ja...@gmail.com>.
*.util.io
*.util.iri
*.util.unicode

The only refactoring necessary would be a package rename... well... it
would probably also be good to have a few more folks dig into the code
to make sure it doesn't suck :-)

- James

Re: IRI Implementation

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.