Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Pankaj Bhatnagar <pa...@rediffmail.com> on 2005/05/13 11:31:05 UTC

problem starting jrmp service in tomcat 5.5.9 ?

Hi

I am trying to upgrade from Tomcat 5.0.x to Tomcat 5.5.9. I have an application that used to monitor Tomcat 5.0.x by connecting to the jrmp service and retreiving the MBeanServer. I used to enable the jrmp service by adding the 2 lines :
mx.port=9999
mx.jrmpPort=1099
to the jk2.properties file in the /conf folder.

This does not work with Tomcat 5.5.9 :(

I added these 2 lines to the jk2.properties file but found that there was no change in Tomcat starting up. I realized that the jk2.properties file was not being read by default. I then added the attribute propertiesFile="/conf/jk2.properties" to the AJP Connector definition in the server.xml file. Now I get the following :

May 13, 2004 1:16:35 PM org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket init
INFO: JK: ajp13 listening on /0.0.0.0:8009
May 13, 2004 1:16:35 PM org.apache.jk.common.JkMX init
INFO: Can't enable log4j mx:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.log4j.jmx.HierarchyDynamicMBean
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:187)
        at ava.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:302)
        at org.apache.jk.common.JkMX.registerObject(JkMX.java:382)
        at org.apache.jk.common.JkMX.init(JkMX.java:341)
        at org.apache.jk.server.JkMain.start(JkMain.java:326)
        at org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.start(JkCoyoteHandler.java:200)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.start(Connector.java:1001)
        at ......
May 13, 2004 1:16:35 PM org.apache.jk.server.JkMain start
INFO: Jk running ID=0 time=0/79  config=/conf/jk2.properties

Now I dont understand whether the service started successfully or not ?
How can I check whether the service started or not ? I am not able to connect to the service through code. Could please help me as to how I can enable the jrmp service in Tomcat 5.5.9 and retreive the MBeanServer programatically ?

Also, how do I start Tomcat in debug mode & where will I get the debug messages ?

Thanks in advance
Pankaj Bhatnagar

Re: problem starting jrmp service in tomcat 5.5.9 ?