Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by John Griffin <Jo...@pwgsc.gc.ca> on 2004/07/16 12:53:46 UTC

Changelists Q2

Okay,

Let me ask two other questions then. Are Perforce style changelists on the subversion development path? I took a look at the Web site and did not see any mention of changelists. Are Perforce style changelists considered a best practice? If they are considered a "bad" way of doing things what is the best practice for simultaneously managing multiple sets of changes?

John

Posted by Josh Pieper <jj...@pobox.com>.
John Griffin wrote:
> Okay,
> Let me ask two other questions then. Are Perforce style changelists
> on the subversion development path? I took a look at the Web site
> and did not see any mention of changelists. Are Perforce style
> changelists considered a best practice? If they are considered a
> "bad" way of doing things what is the best practice for
> simultaneously managing multiple sets of changes?

The Subversion development path is for the most part a free for all.
Whoever is interested in implementing a feature does so.  I haven't
seen any developer working on or interested in Perforce style
changelists so it seems unlikely in the near future.

Aside from that, I manage multiple sets of changes all the time by
keeping a separate working copy (WC) for each change that I am
developing.  I find that this approach works very well, at the expense
of some disk space.

-Josh

Re: Changelists Q2

Posted by Arnout Standaert <ar...@student.kuleuven.ac.be>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 08:44, Garrett Rooney wrote:
>

>>I don't think anyone is working on such a thing, and honestly I'm not
>>sure how it would be implemented.
>

> It might be something that a good svn GUI can do.   I've heard people
> talk about writing this feature into GUIs, in fact.  Nothing's come of
> it yet.

I remember a thread on the TortoiseSVN list discussing changelists,
like in Perforce. You might want to check out this message:

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=3859

There are a bunch of follow-up messages, a bit scattered under
different titles, that discuss possible approaches to implement this
in TSVN. I wouldn't know what the current status is, sorry.

Regards,
Wald

Re: Changelists Q2

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Re: Changelists Q2

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
John Griffin wrote:
> Okay,
>
> Let me ask two other questions then. Are Perforce style changelists on
> the subversion development path? I took a look at the Web site and did
> not see any mention of changelists. Are Perforce style changelists considered
> a best practice? If they are considered a "bad" way of doing things what is
> the best practice for simultaneously managing multiple sets of changes?

I don't think anyone is working on such a thing, and honestly I'm not
sure how it would be implemented.

In Perforce the info about the changelists are stored on the server, and
they're kept in sync as you 'p4 edit' the various things you're
changing.  In Subversion the server doesn't track that kind of
information, so it would have to be maintained in the client.

The current working copy design doesn't lend itself to such things, so
it would have to be implemented at another level.

Implementing it in the standard client would probably not mesh well with
things like being able to move working copies or being able to take a
subset of a working copy and use it as a stand alone working copy, so
I'm skeptical of this ever happening as part of the standard command
line client.

There's no reason you can't do essentially the same thing yourself
though.  Just keep a text file containing a list of each file that's
part of your changeset and use the 'svn commit --targets FILE'
functionality when you're committing the final change.  If you want a
nicer front end to that functionality I imagine it could be pretty
easily scripted.

-garrett