Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/01 22:07:46 UTC

Welcome Erick Erickson as Lucene/Solr committer

I'm pleased to announce that the Lucene PMC has voted for Erick
Erickson as a committer.

Erick, its tradition that you introduce yourself with a brief bio.

Congratulations!

Re: Welcome Erick Erickson as Lucene/Solr committer

Posted by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com>.
Welcome Erick !

Shai

Posted by Koji Sekiguchi <ko...@r.email.ne.jp>.
Welcome, Erick!

http://www.rondhuit.com/en/

Re: Welcome Erick Erickson as Lucene/Solr committer

Posted by Minh Doan <da...@gmail.com>.
Welcome Erick!

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu> wrote:

> Welcome, Erick!

---
Minh

RE: Welcome Erick Erickson as Lucene/Solr committer

Posted by Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.
Welcome, Erick!

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Welcome aboard Erick! Looking forward to seeing some code that has been hacked up on a sailboat :)

- Mark

Re: Welcome Erick Erickson as Lucene/Solr committer

Posted by Martijn v Groningen <ma...@gmail.com>.
Welcome Erick!

On 2 June 2011 06:45, Doron Cohen <cd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Welcome Erick!
>

> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 11:39 PM, Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Well, let's see. I used to work for a company that had acquired
>> several other products. The small group I worked in supported
>> ...5 different search engines. One of which had to be rebooted
>> periodically (every hour?) to keep from bringing down the
>> server.
>>
>> In the time it took me to get a response to an email asking for
>> support from one of those vendors I'd found Lucene, downloaded
>> it, indexed some of our content and was searching it.
>>
>> Then the vendor responded with "that's an invalid serial number,
>> we can't talk to you until you give us the right one". I was hooked
>> from there on.
>>
>> So we replaced another one of the search engines, also replaced
>> a SQL solution, and put a new product on Lucene. By the end of
>> the third one, I thought to myself "Gee, there's a certain
>> commonality among these, I wonder if I could write something that
>> was configuration-driven to make this even easier". Fortunately I
>> found Solr before trying to write one myself....
>>
>> The folks on the Lucene user's list gently helped me along
>> with my understanding of Lucene, and I started answering
>> the questions I could. I found three things out.
>> 1> trying to regularly answer a question or two helped
>>     me understand nooks and crannies better.
>> 2> it freed up people who really knew things to help me even more.
>> 3> they invited me to be a committer. This part was totally
>>     unexpected I must say. I contributed a few patches along
>>     the way, mostly around the edges in the jUnit area.
>>
>> Personal stuff:
>>
>> My wife and I have a daughter who's the apple of our eye, and
>> her husband adores her. What more could we ask of him?
>>
>> Along the way we built our house 20+ years ago. OK
>> I don't do drywall (too slow) or electrical (don't like fires) or
>> masonry (don't have the skill). But most of the rest of it worked out.
>> And my wife and I even stayed married.
>>
>> Graduated U of Mich three times, once in elementary ed, then a bs
>> and ms in computer science. Worked in the industry since then,
>> mostly in the publishing area (typesetting systems Z80-based),
>> a newspaper editorial system, a corporate search provider
>> and most recently for a large information provider to business,
>> research and educational  customers. I guess I've been in the
>> tech fields for...er...30 years. Siiggghhhh. Do I get "grandfather"
>> status?
>>
>> Anyway, I'm flattered by the invitation to become a committer and
>> it looks like I need to actually start digging into the code...
>>
>> Thanks PMC
>> Erick
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I'm pleased to announce that the Lucene PMC has voted for Erick
>> > Erickson as a committer.
>> >
>> > Erick, its tradition that you introduce yourself with a brief bio.

> [...]

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martijn van Groningen

Re: Welcome Erick Erickson as Lucene/Solr committer

Posted by Doron Cohen <cd...@gmail.com>.
Welcome Erick!

Posted by "David Smiley (@MITRE.org)" <DS...@mitre.org>.
Congrats Erick! I've noticed you on the mailing list for a long time and
you've offered many people good advise.

~ David Smiley

-----
 Author: https://www.packtpub.com/solr-1-4-enterprise-search-server/book

Re: Welcome Erick Erickson as Lucene/Solr committer

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.
Welcome, Erick!

Dawid

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Welcome Erick!

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@osafoundation.org>.
And welcome Erick !

Andi..

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.
Welcome!

simon

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@gmail.com>.
Yay!   Welcome, Erick.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Welcome Erick,

It was nice to meet you several times in real life, too!

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen