Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Timo Boehme <bo...@informatik.uni-leipzig.de> on 2002/02/19 11:27:30 UTC

NullPointerException creating wildcard index

I would like to create an index for all foo attributes within my
collection. According to the documentation I specified *@foo as the index
pattern. However the database server throws NullPointerExceptions for all
documents within the collection during indexing. The exception looks like:

DEBUG> java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.apache.xindice.core.indexer.IndexPattern.getMatchLevel(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.xindice.core.indexer.IndexManager$SAXHandler.processEntry(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.xindice.core.indexer.IndexManager$SAXHandler.endElement(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.xindice.xml.sax.SAXEventGenerator.processContainer(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.xindice.xml.sax.SAXEventGenerator.processContainer(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.xindice.xml.sax.SAXEventGenerator.processDocument(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.xindice.xml.sax.SAXEventGenerator.start(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.xindice.core.indexer.IndexManager$SAXHandler.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.xindice.core.indexer.IndexManager.populateNewIndexers(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.xindice.core.indexer.IndexManager.access$300(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.xindice.core.indexer.IndexManager$AutoIndexer.run(Unknown Source)

You can easily reproduce this problem:
 1. add a collection testcoll to db
 2. add a simple document (e.g. <test>text</test>) to /db/testcoll
 3. add index with pattern *@foo to /db/testcoll

I got this with Xindice RC1 running on Solaris and on Windows 2000.

Any help would be appreciated.

Timo

 Dipl. Inf. Timo Boehme Phone: +49 341 9732166
 University of Leipzig Fax:  +49 341 9732209
   Institute of Computer Science, Database Group
    Augustusplatz 10-11, 04109 Leipzig, Germany
      email: boehme@informatik.uni-leipzig.de

Re: NullPointerException creating wildcard index

Posted by Tom Bradford <to...@xqrl.com>.
On Tuesday, February 19, 2002, at 03:27 AM, Timo Boehme wrote:
> I would like to create an index for all foo attributes within my
> collection. According to the documentation I specified *@foo as the
> pattern. However the database server throws NullPointerExceptions for
> all
> documents within the collection during indexing. The exception looks
> like:

I'll try to get this fixed this evening.  It's probably something
simple, and the result of stupidity. :)

--
Tom Bradford - http://www.tbradford.org
Architect - XQRL (XQuery Engine) - http://www.xqrl.com