Posted to user@thrift.apache.org by "Powers, Sean" <sp...@harris.com> on 2011/04/12 14:42:52 UTC

Can Apache Thrift push notifications to clients?

I'm looking to use Apache Thrift to have one client send data to the server and then have the server push that data to any clients. Is this possible, or would the client need to periodically check for new data? I'm looking for something similar to WCF's callbacks.
I'm pretty new to Apache Thrift and I'm using it in C#/.NET currently and will likely have a Java client. Thanks.
-       Sean

Re: Can Apache Thrift push notifications to clients?

Posted by Phillip B Oldham <ph...@gmail.com>.
No, you would have to poll for updates, however thrift is designed for
small, quick calls so should be fine. Might be worth looking at the
event-based thrift servers to keep your server-side load down if you
have a very large number of client connections.

--
Phillip B Oldham
phillip.oldham@gmail.com

Re: Can Apache Thrift push notifications to clients?

Posted by Dmitriy Kargapolov <dm...@gmail.com>.
You can implement thrift server in clients receiving updates and use one way
to push messages to them.