Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Juan Algaba <ja...@colef.mx> on 2018/12/03 07:31:25 UTC

Re: NetBeans 9.0 - Can't debug a single test method with migrated project

Actually, I have the exact same issue, I just tried "Debug Focused
Test Method" on my ant web project and got error:

Target "debug-single-method" does not exist in the project "sia".

I hadn't noticed because I usually use "Run Focused Test Method" and
that one works fine. My project was also migrated from 8.2 a while
ago.

The issue can be reproduced by creating a new ant web application
using NB 8.2, testing a class, and then opening it with NB 10 and
trying to test again with "Debug Focused Test Method".

Next time I have some free time I'll do more testing to see if I can
pinpoint exactly what's going on.

--
 Juan Algaba

Re: NetBeans 9.0 - Can't debug a single test method with migrated project

Posted by Juan Algaba <ja...@colef.mx>.
So, I tested again with 11.3 and find that
* Problem still happens with my existing project
* Problem doesn't happen if creating new Ant Web App project
* The problem is NOT in build-impl.xml (I diffed the working project
one and mine, and sans some small unrelated differences, they're the
same! including not having a "debug-single-method")
* I tried checking what target Netbeans is running in the working
project, but it must use some black magic because the "Select
target(s) to run" field is actually empty when clicking the "Re-run
with different parameters" button, In "Special Ant properties" I see a
parameter called "nb.internal.action.name=debug.single.method" so my
guess Is that netbeans injects the "debug-single-method" or redirects
somehow to the "debug-test-method" that does exist
* When clicking "Re-run with different parameters" in my non-working
project it does actually have "debug-single-method" in the "Select
target(s) to run" field, and the "Special Ant properties" are fewer
and different

But to anyone having this problem, the workaround is very easy, just
use Thomas' workaround
> For the time being I fixed this by customizing (the project specifict) build.xml by adding the missing target and make it depend on the correct one:
>     <target name="debug-single-method" depends="test-single-method"/>
> Thomas

But I do want to note that there's a mistake in the "depends" part,
the correct one is:
<target name="debug-single-method" depends="debug-test-method"/>

Otherwise the method wouldn't stop at breakpoints.

--
Juan Algaba

Re: NetBeans 9.0 - Can't debug a single test method with migrated project

Posted by Juan Algaba <ja...@colef.mx>.
@Dell I reproduced the issue with 10-vc4 so I can confirm that it still exists.

@emi regarding the issue I mentioned from the Jira link, I tested with
netbeans 9/10 with both jdk 10 and 8 and had the exact same issue. I
also tested coolbeans with jdk 10 and 8 and it works fine, so I don't
think it's related to the jdk, also that issue seems to be with the
IDE itself because it shows up silently as an IDE notification with a
red ballon, it doesn't even look like ant does anything at all before
getting the error, I'm starting to think it's an issue unrelated to
this email thread so I think it'd be best if I send you a separate
email about it (since it's somewhat related to coolbeans).

On the other hand the main issue Thomas and Dell mention shows up in
the main build output window, so it's more of a build error. Surely
there must be something in the build-impl.xml, project.properties, or
some nb 8.2 configuration file that nb 9/10 doesn't like. I'm gonna
try Dell's workaround tomorrow and see if:
1) the issue gets resolved on my end as well
2) exactly what change in what configuration file triggers the fix (if
indeed the issue is related to some config file)

On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 12:39 PM Dell Green
<De...@ideaworks.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

> I had the same issues opening projects from 8.2 in 9.0.
>
> I noticed this after converting 8 projects! so had to go back through
> them creating a new netbeans project for each in Netbeans 9
>
> and then copy all the sources files and git files from the netbeans 8.2
> project into the respective netbeans 9 project.
>
> The debugging methods then worked again for me.
>
> I haven't tried  opening 8.2 projects in 10-vc3 to see if the problem
> still exists.
>

> On 03/12/2018 07:31, Juan Algaba wrote:
> > Actually, I have the exact same issue, I just tried "Debug Focused
> > Test Method" on my ant web project and got error:
> >
> > Target "debug-single-method" does not exist in the project "sia".
> >
> > I hadn't noticed because I usually use "Run Focused Test Method" and
> > that one works fine. My project was also migrated from 8.2 a while
> > ago.
> >
> > The issue can be reproduced by creating a new ant web application
> > using NB 8.2, testing a class, and then opening it with NB 10 and
> > trying to test again with "Debug Focused Test Method".
> >
> > Next time I have some free time I'll do more testing to see if I can
> > pinpoint exactly what's going on.
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 2:56 PM Juan Algaba <ja...@colef.mx> wrote:
> >> A similar issue happened to me when migrating to netbeans 9.0 and
> >> continues on in nb 10, details here:
> >> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-1661
> >>
> >> Strangely when I use Coolbeans (http://coolbeans.xyz/) which I believe
> >> is based on nb 10 the issue is resolved, which is my current
> >> workaround.
> >>

> >> --
> >>  Juan Algaba

Juan Algaba

Re: NetBeans 9.0 - Can't debug a single test method with migrated project

Posted by Dell Green <De...@ideaworks.co.uk.INVALID>.

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
CoolBeans comes with JDK 10. If there's a difference it might be due
to the JDK included. I skipped JDK 11.0.1 since it has an ugly bug
related to NetBeans, waiting for the next 11 release.

--emi

http://coolbeans.xyz/ - CoolBeans: An IDE for Java, JavaEE, PHP and more!