Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by KL OOI <oo...@yahoo.com> on 2001/11/15 08:25:21 UTC

Precompile JSP

Hi all,

Do anyone here know how to compile all the JSP pages before I roll out for production??

Thanks..

Regards,
KL OOI

Re: Precompile JSP

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.
Do anyone here know how to compile all the JSP pages before I roll out for production??

----

Every JSP, when called, is turned into a JAVA source code and compiled into a servlet, the first time it is called.

You can do this manually:

${CATALINA_HOME}/bin/jasper.sh jspc <your_file.jsp>

then

javac -classpath ${SERVLET.JAR} your_file.java
mv YourServlet.class WEB-INF/classes/

and

edit web.xml to add servlet and mapping.

Nix.

Re: Precompile JSP

Posted by Pritpal Dhaliwal <ps...@ucdavis.edu>.
I like to complie JSP's by visiting them once.  This way you even verify
that they actually work.

Pritpal Dhaliwal

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.
> Precompile all the jsp files in your project in your ant.xml file as
> part of the build process when making your war file.

Yes, yes, it can be done, but what we want is to have JSP normal and then precompiled upon context mounting. Startup servlet cannot do it, since it starts before JSP servlet. Can that be re-ordered somehow? To have something run UPON startup, but AFTER JSP servlet?

Nix.

Re: Precompile JSP

Posted by an...@claire.co.jp.

Re: Precompile JSP

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.

RE: Precompile JSP

Posted by pero <pe...@antaramusic.de>.
Hi,

> Precompilation is a feature of a particular container -- it's not anything
> mandated by the JSP spec.  Tomcat's current implementation of that is
> "jspc" -- if you don't like jspc for some reason, you'll need to suggest
> (or, better, contribute :-) an implementation that does what you want.
> But nothing else exists in Tomcat at the moment.
>
> > help appriciated
> >
> > pero
> >

> Craig

I know that the kind of precompilation I was talking about does not belong
to the JSP spec. All that I've asked for was some help in coding it. Thus, I
*want* to contribute, but I haven't got a clue where to put it. :-) So, I
will dig into the tc source to find it...

pero

..: for the second time today an answer to a mail of mine tried to oppose my
mail but said exact the same that I've mentioned before - maybe my english
is too bad :-))

RE: Precompile JSP

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, pero wrote:

> Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 10:26:07 +0100
> From: pero <pe...@antaramusic.de>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: Precompile JSP
>
> > (sigh) and I thought it was such a good idea...
>
> me too :)
>
> > Could we have a startup servlet that would wait for a JSP servlet
> > to start-up and then call all the pre-compilations? Or just wait
> > for a while? (That sucks as an idea, I know)
> >
> > We definitely need a regular "hook" for this.
>
> Servlet-Api 2.3 (TC 4) uses the concept of LifeCycleListeners - that could
> have been the deal! But it isn't. :-( The contextInitialized-method is
> called before the servlets are loaded (including jsp) and so this approach
> doesn't work either...
> Could any developer point me (us) to a solution on how to hook a precompiler
> into the application (dont want to use jspc)? I doubt that there is a
> portable way of doing so, since servlet-on-startup and LifeCycleListener do
> not work. But nevertheless I would love to implement that feature.
> And some dirty workaround (starting a thread in servlet.init() that waits 10
> sec or so) would be too evil. At least for me (-:

Precompilation is a feature of a particular container -- it's not anything
mandated by the JSP spec.  Tomcat's current implementation of that is
"jspc" -- if you don't like jspc for some reason, you'll need to suggest
(or, better, contribute :-) an implementation that does what you want.
But nothing else exists in Tomcat at the moment.

> help appriciated
>
> pero

Craig

RE: Precompile JSP

Posted by pero <pe...@antaramusic.de>.

Re: Precompile JSP

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.

RE: Precompile JSP

Posted by pero <pe...@antaramusic.de>.

Re: Precompile JSP

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.
> > Try bin/jspc.bat or jspc.sh
>
> I would like to compile my jsp's as a test before I deploy it and see if it
> works. I spend quite a lot of time changing stuff, deploying, loading in a
> web browser and seeing jsp compiliation problems.
>
> It would be nice to have jspc compile my jsp's during the deployment
> process. I tried this and it seems to recompile everything, rather than only
> those files that have changed.
>
> Is there a depends option to jspc?
>
> The obvious solution is to use ant to only compile those files that have
> changed, but there doesn't seem to be an equivelent of make's .c.o option in
> ant. Is there a dependset creator anywhere, if there isn't a generic .c.o
> type task?

:-)

When a JSP page is requested, Servlet Container will fire up JSP servlet, which will check if there is a compiled servlet for that page and if it is newr than the page itself. If so, it will transfer (forward) to that servlet. If not, it will startup JSP compiler, to turn JSP page into a Java source. Then it will feed that Java source to Java compiler from JDK to finaly produce the servlet and run it. Those run-time compiled servlets are kept in a work dir.

When you "deploy" or just unload/load a context, it's work dir is empty, so it must be compiled the first time it is requested. OR YOU CAN...

1. Precompile them manually, move teh resulting *.class files to WEB-INF/classes/... and edit web.xml to register all those servlets and their mappings

2. Run a startup servlet, which will precompile all JSPs in your webapp (request them with URL "/path/file.jsp?precompile=true", I think)

The first aproach nails it shut, all changes will have to be made on your development machine. The second leaves things open, at the cost of a rather slow startup.

Nix.

Re: Precompile JSP

Posted by Tom Drake <rt...@pobox.com>.
Tom:

I'm not aware of any such option. I have always just lived with this
recompiled all JSP's. You could create an Ant Task for this.
It could be a very nice addition Ant's optional taskdefs.

Tom Drake

RE: Precompile JSP

Posted by pero <pe...@antaramusic.de>.
That's exactly what I meant by writing:

> the main purpose of jspc is to get rid of your jsp-files since it
> simply converts them to servlet (and generates the correct
> servlet-config for your web.xml).

Sorry, if I wasn't clear enough on that point.
Jspc generates the corresponding java-classes and the servlet mapping for
your web-xml as well, if you want. But what I (and others perhaps) need, is
to precompile the jsps at startup *AND* deploy the jsp-source. The advantage
of deploying the jsp-source is to be able to make short corrections in a
fast way (spelling mistakes and things - really a common and not an abstract
case) without redeploying everything and restarting the server (because I
would not run a production server with a reloadable context - performance
issues).
So I would like to precompile all jsps at startup and want the tomcat to
recompile changed jsps. That's not possible with jspc. And thus, I would
love to see (and implement if I find the right "hook" :) such a feature - if
others find it useful too...

pero

Re: Precompile JSP

RE: Precompile JSP

Posted by pero <pe...@antaramusic.de>.

RE: Precompile JSP

Posted by Tom Parker <to...@econz.co.nz>.

Re: Precompile JSP

Posted by Tom Drake <rt...@pobox.com>.
Try bin/jspc.bat or jspc.sh

Re: Precompile JSP

Posted by Lars Nielsen Lind <mo...@worldonline.dk>.
I don't know if there are any other ways to compile the pages - other than
using the pages with the webserver.

The books I have read, all states that the JSP-page will be compiled to a
Servlet, when used with the webserver, if it has not yet been compiled.

Posted by KL OOI <oo...@yahoo.com>.
Can I compile it first?

Re: Precompile JSP

Posted by Lars Nielsen Lind <mo...@worldonline.dk>.