Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> on 2017/03/23 15:50:09 UTC

[DISCUSS] updating docs on Apache Hadoop versions for recent upstream releases.

Heya folks,

Hadoop has just closed their RCs on a 2.8.0 release[1]. During voting,
two Hadoop PMC members positioned the release as "not production
ready"[2], similar to how the 2.7.0 release was flagged[3].

The RC only just passed, so the actual release bits and announcement
haven't gone up yet. So I don't know yet for sure what the downstream
facing phrasing will be.

However, given the problems discovered in the RC process (several test
failures led to the above "let's go ahead with release and flag it as
not production ready") and the likely positioning as the release being
for "adventurous" downstream users, I'd like to preemptively update
our hadoop supported versions docs[4] to call out that our downstream
users should avoid 2.8.0 in the same way we tell them to avoid 2.7.0.

We should also call out the 3.0.0 pre-GA releases, now that there are
two alpha releases.

Thoughts?

-busbey

[1]: https://s.apache.org/hadoop-2.8.0-vote-passes
[2]:
https://s.apache.org/X9r0
https://s.apache.org/sIxj
[3]: http://hadoop.apache.org/releases.html#25+August%2C+2016%3A+Release+2.7.0+available
[4]: http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#hadoop

Re: [DISCUSS] updating docs on Apache Hadoop versions for recent upstream releases.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Josh Elser <el...@apache.org> wrote:

> Sean Busbey wrote:
>>
>> We should also call out the 3.0.0 pre-GA releases, now that there are
>> two alpha releases.
>

> What kind of context are you thinking about here? "3.0.0-alpha is for
> adventurous users"? "Avoid 3.0.0-alpha"?

I guess the "Not Tested (NT)" status is how we usually indicate "we
don't know of any problems but we don't have affirmative testing in
place" and "Not Supported (X)" is how we say avoid.

Right now the table covers through HBase 2.0. Here at Cloudera we're
doing internal testing of close-to-current master against what is
essentially the Hadoop 3 alpha releases, but it's not the exact
artifacts and we're a ways from something I have confidence in. I'd
like to label the alphas as NT for now on 2.0. I'd also like to make
being able to say "supported" on either a Hadoop 3 beta or a Hadoop 3
GA a priority for HBase 2.0. This might be sliding into a discussion
we need to have about HBase 2.0 version naming (i.e. if we're doing
alpha/beta releases or trying to do 1.99 like we did in the run up to
1.0).

For HBase 1.y versions I'd be pretty surprised if running on the
Hadoop 3 alphas worked, so I'd rather tell downstream folks to avoid
by giving it an X.

Re: [DISCUSS] updating docs on Apache Hadoop versions for recent upstream releases.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Sean Busbey wrote:
> Heya folks,
>
> Hadoop has just closed their RCs on a 2.8.0 release[1]. During voting,
> two Hadoop PMC members positioned the release as "not production
> ready"[2], similar to how the 2.7.0 release was flagged[3].

Oh good.

> The RC only just passed, so the actual release bits and announcement
> haven't gone up yet. So I don't know yet for sure what the downstream
> facing phrasing will be.
>
> However, given the problems discovered in the RC process (several test
> failures led to the above "let's go ahead with release and flag it as
> not production ready") and the likely positioning as the release being
> for "adventurous" downstream users, I'd like to preemptively update
> our hadoop supported versions docs[4] to call out that our downstream
> users should avoid 2.8.0 in the same way we tell them to avoid 2.7.0.

+1