Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org> on 2002/05/01 01:56:09 UTC

Re: cvs commit: apr configure.in

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 11:49:41PM -0000, jerenkrantz@apache.org wrote:
> jerenkrantz    02/04/30 16:49:41
>
>   Modified:    .        configure.in
>   Log:
>   Add --disable-atomics flag which will prevent APR from using its *own*
>   optimized code.  On those OSes that properly support atomics from userspace,
>   we will use those no matter what the user specifies.  Therefore, this change
>   only affects Solaris/Sparc - if --disable-atomics is passed, we will use
>   APR's generic code.
>
>   Rewrite/simplify Sparc CPU m4 test to make more sense.
>
>   Revision  Changes    Path
>   1.438     +27 -23    apr/configure.in

This change with the changes to apr_atomics.h should be included in
2.0.36.  This change should remove the atomics showstopper - albeit
if you want to produce binaries that are portable across CPUs on
Solaris, you *must* use --disable-atomics - perhaps binbuild needs to
be updated to pass this?  I'm not sure.  I'll leave that to those who
care about binary distributions (I don't).

Due to the problems with Linux, I've removed the atomic support.
Those header files aren't meant to be included in userspace.

There is a prior commit to apr/configure.in that I'm reluctant to
include in 2.0.36.  I'll leave it up to the RM to how he wants to
deal with it.  If Sander tests it and decides it is worthy for
inclusion, it can go in.  Otherwise, I'd recommend branching from
the prior version and apply this to the branch.  But, however Sander
wants to do it is fine with me (include it or not).  -- justin