Posted to dev@ozone.apache.org by "Elek, Marton" <el...@apache.org> on 2020/11/02 08:49:37 UTC

[DISCUSS] new, separated repositories for each type of docker images

Hi,

Today https://github.com/apache/ozone-docker repository contains the
source of apache/ozone, apache/ozone-runner and apache/ozone-build
docker images.

As we had a subproject of Hadoop we managed all the sources on different
branches which can be confusing.

I suggest the following changes:

  1. Create separated apache/ozone-docker-runner and
apache/ozone-docker-build repositories for the apache/ozone-runner and
apache/ozone-build docker images.

  2. Create separated repository to create a kerberos dev image (today
it's built during each of the tests but it would make all the build
faster). apache/ozone-docker-devkrb5.git --> apache/ozone-devkrb5

  3. Long-term: upload the runner/build/krb5-dev images to the github
repository, too. (DockerHub policies are changed and old images can be
deleted. Also the github repository can be faster during the github
action builds)

Please let me know what do you think.

Thanks,
Marton

Re: [DISCUSS] new, separated repositories for each type of docker images

Posted by Aravindan Vijayan <av...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
+1 for this proposal. Thanks Marton!

On Mon, Nov 2, 2020 at 12:49 AM Elek, Marton <el...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Today https://github.com/apache/ozone-docker repository contains the
> source of apache/ozone, apache/ozone-runner and apache/ozone-build
> docker images.
>
> As we had a subproject of Hadoop we managed all the sources on different
> branches which can be confusing.
>
> I suggest the following changes:
>
>   1. Create separated apache/ozone-docker-runner and
> apache/ozone-docker-build repositories for the apache/ozone-runner and
> apache/ozone-build docker images.
>
>   2. Create separated repository to create a kerberos dev image (today
> it's built during each of the tests but it would make all the build
> faster). apache/ozone-docker-devkrb5.git --> apache/ozone-devkrb5
>
>   3. Long-term: upload the runner/build/krb5-dev images to the github
> repository, too. (DockerHub policies are changed and old images can be
> deleted. Also the github repository can be faster during the github
> action builds)
>
> Please let me know what do you think.
>
> Thanks,
> Marton

Thanks & Regards,
Aravindan

Re: [DISCUSS] new, separated repositories for each type of docker images

Posted by Vivek Ratnavel <vi...@apache.org>.
+1 for the suggestions. Thanks, Marton for taking this initiative!

Posted by Dinesh Chitlangia <di...@apache.org>.
Marton,

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
+1