Posted to log4cxx-dev@logging.apache.org by "Wiebesiek, Torsten" <to...@grecon.de> on 2012/01/25 15:21:36 UTC

Is log4cxx still alive?

Hi folks,

I just tried to figure out, if log4cxx is still alive. The latest
repository commit seems to be about 19 months old, and the traffic on
the mailinglists (http://logging.apache.org/log4cxx/mail-lists.html)
seems to be very low.

Can anyone tell me the state of the log4cxx project? And, is there a
better place to get current information about log4cxx?

Thanks,

  Torsten

Re: Is log4cxx still alive?

Posted by Joseph Southwell <jo...@southwell.org>.
You are spot on about the documentation but I just added 3 fixes to it locally and got no reply from the mailing list about adding them up stream.  There are bugs in the current source tree and you get ignored when you propose fixes. Possibly I am not going about that correctly but I didn't even get a process suggestion in response so I am going to be looking to switch logging libraries in my next release.

I am already using boost so the idea of a boost logging library appeals to me, so props to Bernd.

On Jan 25, 2012, at 11:47 AM, Rhys Ulerich wrote:

>> I just tried to figure out, if log4cxx is still alive.
>
> You could characterize log4cxx as undead.
>
> The mailing list tends to be low volume because (a) the documentation
> is good, (b) the code is good and (c) most "How can I do XYZ?" queries
> have answers identical to their Java log4j equivalent.
>
> I wouldn't shy away from log4cxx for the reasons you mention.  I would
> shy away if you're uncomfortable periodically digging in the issue
> tracker to resolve build-related questions.  Or if something in the
> issue tracker is a must-have feature because, as you've noted, there's
> not a lot of new feature development.
>
> - Rhys

Joseph Southwell
joseph@southwell.org
===================
The past is history.
The future's a mystery.
The present's a gift.

Re: Is log4cxx still alive?

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
Sorry about not responding sooner. I'm going to pull the old newborn excuse. everybody is doing well, but no one is getting much sleep or keeping up with mailing lists.

log4net had a reasonably successful reboot a few months ago. There is a bit of a chicken and egg issue with ASF development is that granting commit rights requires a history of contributions to the project, but it is hard to establish that history on a project that not in an active development phase. In the log4net reboot, an established ASF member and motivated user of log4net (but not an previously active log4net committer) acted as a SVN clerk and mentor to motivated users without an established history to pushed through the first official non-incubating release of log4net.

The problematic issue with forking to GitHub is that it can become extraordinarily difficult to migrate that code back to the ASF since the ASF has very high standards to make sure that all code can be traced back to the original author and that there is a clear record of their intention to donate the code to the ASF.

I'll write more this weekend.

Re: Is log4cxx still alive?

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Palic, Darko,
am Donnerstag, 2. Februar 2012 um 08:54 schrieben Sie:

> The fork is available under https://github.com/dpalic/log4cpp

There already is a log4cpp out there, maybe choose another name?
log4cx, log4cxxx, log4cx2...

http://log4cpp.sourceforge.net/

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--
Thorsten Schöning       E-Mail:Thorsten.Schoening@AM-SoFT.de

Telefon.............030-2 1001-310
Fax...............05151-  9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

AG Hanover HRB 207 694 - Geschäftsführer: Andreas Muchow

Re: Is log4cxx still alive?

Posted by "Palic, Darko" <da...@gmx.de>.
Hello all,

I think there is no more interest from the core development team to
response to the community. So from my point of view, I am personally
declaring the project log4cxx as dead - sigh and sigh even more...

I've created a new repo on github, which contains the important svn-repo
sources.
The fork is available under https://github.com/dpalic/log4cpp
I've added the trunk and the current tag to git.
- svn-tag v0_10_0 is https://github.com/dpalic/log4cpp/tree/log4cxx_v0_10_0
- svn-trunk is https://github.com/dpalic/log4cpp

If someone is willing to join me, I've created a fork. I will add some
of the patches from the mailinglist what I am already using. Maybe there
are other patches what would be fine to add to a source distribution.

For the communication I hope we can stay on this mailinglist.

bye

Re: Is log4cxx still alive?

Re: Is log4cxx still alive?

Posted by Pau Garcia i Quiles <pg...@elpauer.org>.
On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 6:09 PM, Rhys Ulerich <rh...@gmail.com>wrote:

> > Given that log4cxx seems to be stalled, why don't you fork it?
>
> The Apache infrastructure already in place for log4cxx is excellent
> Forking it would be a damned shame as we'd lose that.
> Plus forking is appropriate when there's a difference of vision,
> design, or licensing.  None apply here.  Increasing the number of
> committers/maintainers is a much better option, IMHO.
>
> On possible way forward (with the hopes that the developers are
> lurking and might bless the idea)...
>
> How about the community plans two minor dot releases?  For 0.11.0
> maybe two or three new committers comb the issue tracker for bugfix
> patches, apply them, and release.  The current maintainers oversee the
> 0.11.0 release.  For 0.12.0 maybe those new committers solicit and
> review patches from folks like Darko who hasn't prepared them because
> he was dissuaded by log4xx's inactivity.  Get one of the new
> committers to run the 0.12.0 release process with the current
> maintainer's oversight.  After 0.12.0 the maintainers decide if they
> want to transfer over to new folks or if they want to stay involved.
>
> - Rhys

Your proposal would work if new committers are accepted.

I don't know the ASF, but I wouldn't accept a new committer unless I'm sure
the guy deserves it. That's why I proposed the fork: it's immediate (you
can release the first version tomorrow) and it's useful as a playground for
potential new committers.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org

Re: Is log4cxx still alive?

Posted by Rhys Ulerich <rh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Is log4cxx still alive?

Posted by Pau Garcia i Quiles <pg...@elpauer.org>.
Hi,

Please note I'm not a log4cxx developer.

Given that log4cxx seems to be stalled, why don't you fork it? Just set up
a repository at github, Assembla or BitBucket, become the unofficial
maintainer and start making releases. After a while, once you have shown
you are serious in your effort, you can ask the ASF to be appointed the
official maintainer. I'm not talking about Darko specifically, but about
any or all of you. Actions instead of complains.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org

Re: Is log4cxx still alive?

Posted by "Palic, Darko" <da...@gmx.de>.
Hello all,

I love log4cxx, because I love log4j and of course log4net.
There do you find a logging component which behaves nearly identically
with nearly identical config files? And so nearly every platform is
possible?

BUT, without active release cycles and a willing to integrate user
provided patches, the community will go away, even if the community
isn't already gone. From the users perspective the projects seems to be
dead.
What I am personally doing to check if I would invest effort into a new
component. I am first checking the release cycles. The second test is to
analyze the mailing list traffic. The third test is to check how fast
and often the developers response. Every factor says: the project is dead.
(Anyway I took the log4cxx, but on really long discussions with my
colleagues)

 From the patching perspective, I have the same experiences like many of

RE: Is log4cxx still alive?

Posted by Chris Larsen <cl...@euphoriaaudio.com>.

AW: Is log4cxx still alive?

Posted by "Wiebesiek, Torsten" <to...@grecon.de>.
> > I just tried to figure out, if log4cxx is still alive.
>
> You could characterize log4cxx as undead.
>
> The mailing list tends to be low volume because (a) the documentation
> is good, (b) the code is good and (c) most "How can I do XYZ?" queries
> have answers identical to their Java log4j equivalent.
>
> I wouldn't shy away from log4cxx for the reasons you mention.  I would
> shy away if you're uncomfortable periodically digging in the issue
> tracker to resolve build-related questions.  Or if something in the
> issue tracker is a must-have feature because, as you've noted, there's
> not a lot of new feature development.

Well, I don't shy away from using log4cxx. Actually, we are using it
extensively. But switching from Visual Studio 2008 to 2010 was really
a pain. Not because of log4cxx, but because of a compiler flaw. We had
to move a bunch of these LOG4CXX_LIST_DEF macros around.

And 0.10.0 has been released almost 4 years ago. As far as I know, there
are a lot of improvements to log4cxx in the repository, that haven't
made
it into a release.

  Torsten

Re: Is log4cxx still alive?