Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com> on 2024/02/12 14:55:33 UTC

Re: [PROPOSAL] version naming : drop the 4.

bump,
@Daniel Salvador is there any technical reason to keep the 4? any
reason why there must be a 5 instead of a 21, 22 or 23? We are
maintaining 4 number semantic versioning for no reason, as I see it.

--
Daan

Re: [PROPOSAL] version naming : drop the 4.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
Well, to all users@these lists,
please comment.

The ratio is that cloudstack is called cloudstack4 as an evolutionary
result from the development at cloud.com and citrix and that all
version since 4.0 (the apache podling version) are basically major
versions according to semantic versioning. Keeping the 4 as version
number has no technical meaning and obfuscates the true state of the
software.
The idea is that we drop the 4 at version 20 and continue as usual
with minor and patch level updates as we have in the past.

Not all of the discussion around this is included in this mail, but
you can find it at
https://lists.apache.org/thread/lh45w55c3jmhm7w2w0xgdvlw78pd4p87

*Any* feedback is welcome.

--
Daan

Re: [PROPOSAL] version naming : drop the 4.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Re: [PROPOSAL] version naming : drop the 4.

Posted by Guto Veronezi <gu...@apache.org>.
Daan,