Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de> on 2017/10/30 06:59:35 UTC

Jenkins Oak trunk build with jdk 7???

Looking at

   <https://builds.apache.org/job/Apache%20Jackrabbit%20Oak%20matrix/1836/>

I wonder why we have it still configured to build with JDK 7 which by
definition will fail :-).

Adding JDK 9 on the other hand (if possible) might be good...

Re: Jenkins Oak trunk build with jdk 7???

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
On 2017-10-31 12:02, Marcel Reutegger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 30/10/17 14:21, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> In the meantime I realized that our Matrix build uses the same JDK
>> choices both for trunk and release branches - so 1.6 now is built witj
>> JDK 9, and that of course fails.
>>
>> 1) Does anybody know whether that can be configured better?
>
> There is a combination filter you can configure. Maybe it is easier if
> we split the matrix. That is, create one matrix per Java version and the
> branches that support this version. Or, create one matrix per branch and
> all the supported Java versions.
>
>> 2) Also, should I now re-add JDK 7 so that older branches are built
>> with that as well?
>
> Yes, I think JDK 7 should be added again (somehow).

I have added JDK 7 back for now.

Re: Jenkins Oak trunk build with jdk 7???

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
On 2017-10-31 12:02, Marcel Reutegger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 30/10/17 14:21, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> In the meantime I realized that our Matrix build uses the same JDK
>> choices both for trunk and release branches - so 1.6 now is built witj
>> JDK 9, and that of course fails.
>>
>> 1) Does anybody know whether that can be configured better?
>
> There is a combination filter you can configure. Maybe it is easier if
> we split the matrix. That is, create one matrix per Java version and the
> branches that support this version. Or, create one matrix per branch and
> all the supported Java versions.

FWIW, I tried to do this, such as with:

> ((profile=="unittesting") || (profile=="integrationTesting") || (profile=="rat" && nsfixtures=="SEGMENT_TAR" && jdk=="JDK 1.8 (latest)")) && ( (branch!="origin/trunk") || (branch=="origin/trunk" && jdk!="JDK 1.7 (latest)") )

However Jenkins does not accept the filter expression, probably because
of the field name of the build (which I had to guess).

Best regards, Julian

Re: Jenkins Oak trunk build with jdk 7???

Posted by Marcel Reutegger <mr...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Hi,

On 30/10/17 14:21, Julian Reschke wrote:
> In the meantime I realized that our Matrix build uses the same JDK
> choices both for trunk and release branches - so 1.6 now is built witj
> JDK 9, and that of course fails.
>
> 1) Does anybody know whether that can be configured better?

There is a combination filter you can configure. Maybe it is easier if
we split the matrix. That is, create one matrix per Java version and the
branches that support this version. Or, create one matrix per branch and
all the supported Java versions.

> 2) Also, should I now re-add JDK 7 so that older branches are built with
> that as well?

Yes, I think JDK 7 should be added again (somehow).

Regards
  Marcel

Re: Jenkins Oak trunk build with jdk 7???

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
On 2017-10-30 08:36, Davide Giannella wrote:
> On 30/10/2017 08:14, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> On 2017-10-30 07:59, Julian Reschke wrote:
>>> Looking at
>>>

>>> <https://builds.apache.org/job/Apache%20Jackrabbit%20Oak%20matrix/1836/>
>>>
>>> I wonder why we have it still configured to build with JDK 7 which by
>>> definition will fail :-).
>>>
>>> Adding JDK 9 on the other hand (if possible) might be good...
>>
>> ...done now.
>>

>   the question I have therefore is: shall Oak trunk be released with JDK
> 9 or are we still officially committing to JDK 8?

So far my understanding was that we stick with JDK 8 as minimal JDK and
release JDK, and just ensure things work as well witj JDK 9.

Best regards, Julian

Re: Jenkins Oak trunk build with jdk 7???

Posted by Davide Giannella <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.