Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Tom Crocker <to...@hotmail.com> on 2015/01/03 03:44:08 UTC

Open Works files

How can I get your product to open old Microsoft works files? .wdb files and .wps files HELP!

Re: Open Works files

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 06:35 03/01/2015 -0600, Carson Chittom wrote:
>Tom Crocker writes:
>>How can I get your product to open old Microsoft works files? .wdb
>>files and .wps files HELP!
>
>[...] Microsoft also has a standalone converter for Works -> Word at
>http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=12 which may
>be of some use if you don't have access to Word.

Sorry, but despite appearances, this is not an independent program.
It's a retro-fitted converter for some versions of Word. The small
print begins "When installed with Office applications, ..." and the
system requirements include "Office 2003 Service Pack 2 or greater;
Office 2007".

Brian Barker

Re: Open Works files

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.
On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 12:35 PM, Carson Chittom <ca...@wistly.net> wrote:

> "Tom Crocker" <to...@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> > How can I get your product to open old Microsoft works files? .wdb
> > files and .wps files HELP!
>
> You may find this document interesting:
>
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/FAQ/Writer/DocumentManagement/How_can_I_open_Microsoft_Works_wordprocessor_files_%28.wps%29%3F

Actually that page is way out of date. Of the OpenOffice.org variants
listed, only LibreOffice is actively maintained for Windows, Mac and Linux
(with NeoOffice also for Mac). Users needing to routinely open legacy
document file like Works files will likely find LibreOffice (or NeoOffice)
their best choice. For one-off file conversion, the other suggestions may
be preferable.

S.

Re: Open Works files

Posted by Urmas <da...@gmail.com>.
"Brian Barker":

>  The small print ... the system requirements include "Office 2003 Service
> Pack 2 or greater; Office 2007".

The Word Viewer is supported too, that's what matter.

Re: Open Works files

Posted by Carson Chittom <ca...@wistly.net>.
"Tom Crocker" <to...@hotmail.com> writes:

> How can I get your product to open old Microsoft works files? .wdb
> files and .wps files HELP!

You may find this document interesting:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/FAQ/Writer/DocumentManagement/How_can_I_open_Microsoft_Works_wordprocessor_files_%28.wps%29%3F

In addition to what's listed there, Microsoft also has a standalone

--
http://www.wistly.net