Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2012/08/04 21:33:20 UTC

Re: Stephen, Arnaud & Barrie's school for potential Maven committers

On 16/07/2012 Rob Weir wrote:
> An interesting approach:
> http://javaadventure.blogspot.ie/2012/07/do-you-want-to-become-maven-committer.html
> I wonder if we could do something similar?  Maybe with QA or Translation?
> For it to work we'd need to commitment of several committers willing
> to be teachers/coaches/mentors for the new contributors.

For translators we are already informally doing it, and if I understood
correctly the biggest obstacle is that (permissions aside) the Pootle
installation we have available lacks support for many languages (and
Juergen already discussed this with infra, even though I can't find a
JIRA issue for this).

If, after 3.4.1 is out, we want to focus on getting more localization
volunteers, this would be one of the tools. But we need to fix the
infrastructure first (again, I'm not talking about permissions, but
about the fact that we have existing OpenOffice translations that cannot
be put in Pootle due to incomplete language support on the Pootle
installation at Apache).

Regards,
   Andrea.