Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/06 21:17:46 UTC

Re: Segments in solr index gets deleted after every restart

You simply cannot run Solr (well, actually Lucene) with near 100% disk
utilization. When segments are merged, they are _first_ copied to the
the merge destination and, when successful, the old segments are deleted.

So if segments 1 and 2 are being merged, they are copied to segment 3.
So temporarily you'll have two copies of the segments being merged.

What you're probably seeing is that a merge starts to happen, hits disk
full and on restart the files associated with the failed merge are being
deleted.

In fact, to be safe you need to have at least as much free space on your
disk as your index occupies.

Best,
Erick