Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM> on 2005/08/30 21:21:21 UTC

update default log4j config?

guys,

i have a couple items that i do every time i checkout a roller workspace
and i am wondering if these changes are actually worth putting back into
the default Roller log4j config.

the 2 changes i make are ...

1. remove the "stdout" ConsoleAppender.  this is just a redundant logger
which in my opinion is not really meant to receiving our specific
application log information.  we have our own application log file, so i
don't see the purpose of this.

also of note here is the fact that on most unix systems you can't roll
your catalina.out file while tomcat is running.  once the jvm is started
it won't release the file handle to the catalina.out, and i know this is
a pain in the ass for some of us who probably have large log files.

2. change the Roller log file from RollingFileAppender to
DailyRollingFileAppender.  this just seems natural to me because a daily
rolled log file is more useful than what we have now.  this is also
troublesome for those of us with large log files because with the
RollingFileAppender we'll max out the log files very easily in 1 day, so
there is very little opportunity for having the log files kept around
for at least a couple days.

pretty minor changes, but i think they are beneficial.

-- Allen

Re: update default log4j config?

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.
just to be official ... i am +1 on these changes as well.

-- Allen

Posted by Lance Lavandowska <la...@gmail.com>.
+1, but I would add to Anil's second note that daily would be too
frequent for a low traffic site (such as mine).  But I rather like
day-based logs in any case.

Lance

Posted by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org>.
+0.  A couple of notes: