Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Oleg Ruchovets <or...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/14 09:26:30 UTC

data and metadata in a different folders

Hi ,
   Is it possible to configure hadoop (hdfs) in a such way that meta data
and data itself will be in a different folders?

Actually the questions came from Idea that: it is possible to use 2 file
system : one for data and one for metadata. We want to get an effect that
access to meta data is much more faster then to the data itself. Has someone
already  implemented  it or has such experience please advice.

Thanks in advance
Oleg.

Re: data and metadata in a different folders

Posted by Oleg Ruchovets <or...@gmail.com>.
basically what we want is to split the data stored by hadoop on regular
disks and put data used for searches on faster ssd disk.
if those two types of data can be separated  then how to define it? if not,
is there anything used by hadoop/hdfs that would benefit from being on a
very fast disk (like cache for example) and is small enough - up to 80gb per
server.

Thanks.
Oleg.

Posted by Ahmed Said Nagy <ah...@hotmail.com>.