Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Candide Kemmler <ca...@palacehotel.org> on 2009/03/12 02:24:03 UTC

extending the query parser

Hello,

I'm looking at a way to extend the lucene query parser to allow for
semantic computations in IEML space (see http://ieml.org). What I'd
like to know is: how difficult it would be to be able to add clauses
to query like: ... AND ( some_IEML_expression) AND ...

some_IEML_expression would involve a reference to some field that
would contain metadata expressed in that format.

Thanks in advance for you insights.

Candide

Re: extending the query parser

Posted by Candide Kemmler <ca...@palacehotel.org>.
OK great! I'll see what I can do from here.

Thanks!

Posted by Earwin Burrfoot <ea...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 21:16, Candide Kemmler <ca...@palacehotel.org> wrote:

> On 11 Mar 2009, at 23:21, Earwin Burrfoot wrote:
>
>> Take ANTLR and roll your own query parser from scratch? It's pretty easy.
>>

> Hi Earwin,
>
> That would be fantastic, since our parser is already specified as an ANTLR
> grammar. However, I can't seem to find an antlr grammar in the lucene
> source. Obviously what we want is to extend the existing query support, not
> just create a new one from scratch.

Lucene's default QueryParser uses javacc if I'm not mistaken. And I
don't see any way to extend it except by patching and using modified
version.
If you want to explore some existing alternatives, Mark has an article
here - http://www.lucidimagination.com/blog/2009/02/22/exploring-query-parsers/
My personal opinion is that default parser is only suitable for
something that isn't going to see real world use.

> Regards,
>
> Candide
>
>> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 04:24, Candide Kemmler <ca...@palacehotel.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm looking at a way to extend the lucene query parser to allow for
>>> semantic
>>> computations in IEML space (see http://ieml.org). What I'd like to know
>>> is:
>>> how difficult it would be to be able to add clauses to query like: ...
>>> AND (
>>> some_IEML_expression) AND ...
>>>
>>> some_IEML_expression would involve a reference to some field that would
>>> contain metadata expressed in that format.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for you insights.
>>>
>>> Candide

>> --
>> Kirill Zakharenko/Кирилл Захаренко (earwin@gmail.com)
>> Home / Mobile: +7 (495) 683-567-4 / +7 (903) 5-888-423
>> ICQ: 104465785

ICQ: 104465785

Re: extending the query parser

Posted by Candide Kemmler <ca...@palacehotel.org>.

Posted by Earwin Burrfoot <ea...@gmail.com>.
Take ANTLR and roll your own query parser from scratch? It's pretty easy.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 04:24, Candide Kemmler <ca...@palacehotel.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking at a way to extend the lucene query parser to allow for semantic
> computations in IEML space (see http://ieml.org). What I'd like to know is:
> how difficult it would be to be able to add clauses to query like: ... AND (
> some_IEML_expression) AND ...
>
> some_IEML_expression would involve a reference to some field that would
> contain metadata expressed in that format.
>
> Thanks in advance for you insights.
>
> Candide

ICQ: 104465785