Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Ian Marshall <ia...@itlhosting.co.uk> on 2014/06/23 09:01:45 UTC

Cloudstack-4.3 xenserver-6.2 equallogic SAN

Hi Everyone

Does anyone have a guide to help a new user setup a cloudstack with xenserver and equallogic SAN?

I've read the guides on the cloudstack site and found a link to the Dell guide for integrating EQLX to xenserver but unsure if this is correct for cloudstack setup. Also not sure what should/can be configured using the xen centre admin once cloudstack is implemented.

Regards
Ian

Re: Cloudstack-4.3 xenserver-6.2 equallogic SAN

Posted by Ian Marshall <ia...@itlhosting.co.uk>.
Thanks Dean

I did find this guide
http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20438058.aspx

Which seems quite good but not 100% sure if i shoudl follow it for a
cloudstack deployment.

I like the idea I can utilise the SAN for primary and secondary storage as
the SAM is RAID10 with 9TB and we really only require about 3TB for primary
storage [present infrastructure uses about 1TB]

regards
Ian

Regards
Ian

Posted by Pierre-Luc Dion <pd...@cloudops.com>.
Dell EQL work well as iSCSI primary storage with XenServer in CloudStack.
Don't use iSL(Storage Link) which is deprecated in XenServer 6.2 and not
suported in CloudStack.

As Dean is saying, you can export an EQL volume as NFS share for the
Secondary Storage which require NFS.

*Pierre-Luc DION*
t 855.652.5683

*CloudOps* Votre partenaire infonuagique* | *Cloud Solutions Experts
w cloudops.com *|* tw @CloudOps_

Posted by Ian Marshall <ia...@itlhosting.co.uk>.
Hi Tim

This is very much appreciated.

From your email, if I am correct. I do the following in this order ---
(1) install xenserver v6.2
(2) setup extra management network for storage
(3) setup eqlx as isci and multipathing
(4) install the cloudstack requirements for the cloudstack server(s) to access-control xenserver
(5) create the storage integration in cloudstack as 'presetup'

Please advise where I can find details of presetup or is it detailed in one of the docs.

ALSO
Can you explain how xenserver is used and managed ny cloudstack. For example --
(1) do I manage all instances and primary-secondary storage from cloudstack or xenserver?
(2) do I manage the users, security, networking [advanced] from cloudstack?

Is there anything else I need to know or be aware of before going down this route?

Regards
Ian

Posted by Tim Mackey <tm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ian Marshall <ia...@itlhosting.co.uk>.
Hi Tim

Posted by Tim Mackey <tm...@gmail.com>.
Ian,

Posted by Ian Marshall <ia...@itlhosting.co.uk>.
Thanks Carlos

Posted by Carlos Reátegui <cr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ian,
I used XenCenter to setup my network on the first host and then added the others to the cluster within XenCenter.  When you add the primary host to CloudStack all hosts will get added.

Posted by Dean Kamali <de...@gmail.com>.