Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Michael Engelhart <me...@earthtrip.com> on 2001/01/21 19:33:21 UTC

yen symbol?

hey all,

I'm having trouble displaying the Japanese Yen symbol in my output.  Other language symbols appear fine (british pounds, dracma, etc.) but when I do a NumberFormat.getCurrencyInstance with a Locale of ("ja","JP") the HTML output from my transform has a "?" instead of the yen symbol..  At first I thought it was a JDK issue but it happens on both the IBM and Sun 1.3 JDK's for Linux and on my Mac OS X beta JDK.  When I write test code to output to the console on all these platforms, the Yen symbol shows up fine which is why I'm assuming that it's something in my encoding or XSLT.   I'm using encoding="ISO-8859-1" in all my pages.

The funny thing is that this used to work on an older version of Cocoon although I'm not 100% sure that this is the issue.  I'm using both 1.8 and 1.8.1 and it happens on both of these releases.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

Re: yen symbol?

Posted by Kazuhiro Sakai <ks...@brijapan.com>.
Hi.

I'm not really sure, but I guess that yen symbol can't be displayed
properly in ISO-8859-1 encoding, since there is no yen symbol in ISO-8859-1
table. Try Unicode. Or maybe Shift_JIS or EUC_JP would work but I won't
recommend these because other currency symbols should not be displayed.

I have no idea why it worked in older version of Cocoon..., or maybe I'm
totally wrong about the above idea...

BRI Inc.
System Administrator
Kazuhiro Sakai