Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/11 14:34:38 UTC

Re: VOTE: Extend CXF to support JAX-RPC - Good work

Karthik,

Once upon a time, we had an active contributor to CXF who was working
toward JAX-RPC support. He wrote code to support SOAP-encoded
representation in the Aegis data binding. Sadly, he got too busy with
his real job, and never finished.

There is no plan to work on this. If someone comes to the project who
wants to do it, they will get support and encouragement, but I do not
believe that any of the current contributors have any plans.

--benson

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Well, we certainly supported and encouraged Dain when he did a good dea of it.

Posted by kdesin <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

I deeply wish that there is support for JAX-RPC from the current
implementation of CXF:

I am in a situation where I need to consume a JAX-RPC webservice using
JAX-WS support.

I know that migrating to JAX-WS entirely is the best option but due to some
vendor issues we cannot do that.

I have come across the Dispatch API in JAX-WS to achieve this.(Our services
layer runs on CXF so I am forced to go via this route)

All I am trying is to write a standalone client to invoke the RPC service
and display the output.

Please let me know how to resolve this error:

Service service = Service.create(url, SERVICE);
 javax.xml.ws.Dispatch dispatch =
service.createDispatch(GatewaySoapPort,javax.xml.transform.Source.class,
Service.Mode.PAYLOAD); Source req = new StreamSource("rpc.xml");
Source res = dispatch.invoke(req); /*Error at this point*/

Exception:

Exception in thread "main" javax.xml.ws.WebServiceException:
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Current event not START_ELEMENT or
END_ELEMENT at
com.sun.xml.ws.encoding.soap.client.SOAPXMLDecoder.toInternalMessage(SOAPXMLDecoder.java:263)
at
com.sun.xml.ws.protocol.soap.client.SOAPMessageDispatcher.receive(SOAPMessageDispatcher.java:545)
at
com.sun.xml.ws.protocol.soap.client.SOAPMessageDispatcher.doSend(SOAPMessageDispatcher.java:288)
at
com.sun.xml.ws.protocol.soap.client.SOAPMessageDispatcher.send(SOAPMessageDispatcher.java:153)
at
com.sun.xml.ws.client.dispatch.impl.DispatchDelegate.send(DispatchDelegate.java:71)
at
com.sun.xml.ws.client.dispatch.DispatchBase.sendAndReceive(DispatchBase.java:308)
at com.sun.xml.ws.client.dispatch.DispatchBase.invoke(DispatchBase.java:133)

-----
Saludos
Kartheek

Re: VOTE: Extend CXF to support JAX-RPC - Good work

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Fri February 12 2010 5:18:20 am Glen Mazza wrote:
> Hmm, I'm not sure at this late date if anyone wanted to burden the CXF
> project with that old JAX-RPC stuff they would indeed get "support and
> encouragement".

Well, I disagree.   If someone would find it useful (and there are enough
legacy applications that could be more easily upgraded) AND they were willing
to work on it and support it, I see no issues with it.   I know several of
IONA/Progress customers expressed some interest, but not enough interest to
cost justify the work on our end.   In general, we encouraged customers to
migrate full over to JAX-WS.

> Who would want to maintain and support that?

Well, I'd hope that by the time they got JAX-RPC working, they'd be a
committer and they could help maintain it.  :-)

Seriously, I would definitely not mind it.   I don't think I'd bother with
tooling for it (wsdl2java type stuff), but to help migrate existing
applications to a modern stack, it could be quite useful.   XFire didn't
support JAX-RPC.   Really, the only (open source) choices are Axis1 and the
Sun reference implementation.  (JBoss has an implementation as well, but it's
kind of tied to JBoss)   Both those implementations are quite slow, buggy,
unsupported, and certainly cannot be updated to support some of the new
features such as WS-SecurityPolicy and such.   If someone wanted to add
security support to an existing JAX-RPC application, it's definitely not easy.

That all said, while I would definitely support and encourage anyone that
would like to work on it, (heck, I'll probably add it to the idea list for
Google summer of code this year)   it's not something I would have the time to
work on myself unless a paying customer really demanded it.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: VOTE: Extend CXF to support JAX-RPC - Good work

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.