Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Dave Shine <Da...@channelintelligence.com> on 2010/09/23 22:27:18 UTC

FileSystem.moveToLocalFile getting chmod: ... Operation not permitted

Hello,

I am brand new to Hadoop, Java, and Linux.  I am running Hadoop version 0.20.2 under CentOS.  I am trying to move files from the Hadoop DFS to a Windows file share at the completion of a mapreduce job.  I verified that the Hadoop user has full control of the mounted folder

ls -lcontext
drwxrwxrwx 2 system_u:object_r:cifs_t         root root 0 Sep 23  2010 localFolder

I have the following code in my Java main() function

       FileSystem fs = FileSystem.get(job.getConfiguration());

      try {
            job.waitForCompletion(true);
      } catch (Exception e) {
            e.printStackTrace();
      }

      FileStatus[] files = fs.listStatus(new Path(dfsFolder));
      for(FileStatus dfsFile : files) {
            fs.moveToLocalFile(dfsFile.getPath(), new Path(localFolder));
      }

The job fails with

Exception in thread "main" org.apache.hadoop.util.Shell$ExitCodeException: chmod: changing permissions of `/localFolder/file1': Operation not permitted

The message means that either the Hadoop user does not have permission to execute the chmod command or that the chmod command cannot be run on the file because it is physically located on a Windows server.  I have added the Hadoop user to the adm group on the CentOS server, so I don't believe it is the former.

So, how do I prevent Hadoop from trying to run the chmod command in the first place.  It really isn't necessary since the Hadoop user has full control over the mount in CentOS and the shared folder in Windows.

Dave Shine
Sr. Software Engineer

1180 Celebration Blvd Suite 101
Celebration FL 34747
Office 321-939-5093
Mobile 407-314-0122
Fax 321-939-5604
dave.shine@channelintellence.com<ma...@channelintellence.com>
http://www.channelintelligence.com<http://www.channelintelligence.com/>

The information contained in this email message is considered confidential and proprietary to the sender and is intended solely for review and use by the named recipient. Any unauthorized review, use or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply email and delete the message.