Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Elad Kalif <el...@apache.org> on 2023/09/08 16:14:44 UTC

[DISCUSS] Executors docs should be published in Airflow core or providers?

Hello everyone,

This thread is opened due to open issue Migrate Celery/Dask/Kubernetes
Executor docs to providers <https://github.com/apache/airflow/issues/33916>

*Background:*
We had a discussion about extracting Celery, Kubernetes, Dask executors
from core to providers (discussion thread
<https://lists.apache.org/thread/kwwhz62lddygodpgr3fk4b9tthtld9do>, vote
thread <https://lists.apache.org/thread/7gyw7ty9vm0pokjxq7y3b1zw6mrlxfm8>)

One of the things we voted on was:

Also, resulting from the discussion we will keep documentation for
> available executors in Airflow (so they will still be considered as THE
> executors available and will be discoverable in the same way as today).

*The problem:*
Airflow Core and Providers do not share the same release cycle nor cadance.
This means that if we add new capabilities to executors or fix an issue
which requires both code and doc update - the code will be delivered
before/ahead of documentation. Both cases are not good.

*My proposal:*Now that Celery, Kubernetes, Dask executors are in providers.
The section of core-concept
<https://airflow.apache.org/docs/apache-airflow/stable/core-concepts/index.html>
should
contain only HIGH level information about the executors. It should not
contain information about executors internals or how to address common
problems. This information should be in the provider docs. The high level
info should be short and on a level that is relevant for all executors
which means it's not likely to have many changes over time. The
core-concept should have links/refers for deep dive read to the provider
docs. This is very similar to what we do with Notifiers
<https://airflow.apache.org/docs/apache-airflow-providers/core-extensions/notifications.html>
core
contains high level information and a list of notifers that are linked to
provider docs.

WDYT?

Also, resulting from the discussion we will keep documentation for
available executors in Airflow (so they will still be considered as THE
executors available and will be discoverable in the same way as today).Moe
K8S and Celery Executors (and related) to respective providers?

Re: [DISCUSS] Executors docs should be published in Airflow core or providers?

Posted by Elad Kalif <el...@apache.org>.
as there were no concerns raised I started a lazy consensus
https://lists.apache.org/thread/xmqzqzk90v0wyj5crm191wsjh8y1q2r2

Posted by Pankaj Koti <pa...@astronomer.io.INVALID>.
+1 to the proposal.

Posted by Hussein Awala <hu...@awala.fr>.