Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com> on 2005/06/14 17:53:32 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_deflate w/reverse proxy

I'm having trouble using mod_deflate to compress content that is going
through my reverse proxy using apache 2.0.46.  All requests go to a
default virtual host, and then I use RewriteConf/RewriteRule [P] to
carve off certain hostnames to reverse proxy to another webserver.  We
use this approach for testing, so normally everyone sees the regular set
of files, but before deploying I can setup special hostnames to see a
newer site version.

Configuration looks like this...

UseCanonicalName Off
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml

<VirtualHost *>
   DocumentRoot /foobar
   ServerName www.lokitech.com

   ProxyRequests Off
   <Proxy *>
     Order deny,allow
     Allow from all
   </Proxy>

   RewriteEngine On
   RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} \.lokitech\.com [NC,OR]
   RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^lokitech\.com [NC]
   RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://localhost:8082/$1 [P]
   ProxyPreserveHost On
</VirtualHost>

Let's say I'm hosting www.lokitech.com and www.prestosports.com on this
server.  With this setup, a request for an HTML URL on
www.prestosports.com will get compressed, but a request for an HTML URL
on www.lokitech.com will not get compressed.

I've done extensive google searching and saw there was something about
how mod_deflate and mod_proxy are not compatible, but it wasn't clear if
this is outdated or if there is a workaround.

Beyond instantly telling me how to fix this, I'm mainly hoping for
suggestions to diagnose why the filter would not get applied to the
proxy requests.  Thanks in advance.

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501

Re: [users@httpd] mod_deflate w/reverse proxy

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 6/14/05, Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com> wrote:
> I'm having trouble using mod_deflate to compress content that is going
> through my reverse proxy using apache 2.0.46.

Quite an old version.  If you are using complex stuff like deflate and
proxy, you should be keeping up with more recent versions.

> AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml

See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#addoutputfilterbytype
where it tells you that this directive does not work with proxies.
You'll need to look at the more complex configuration:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_deflate.html#recommended

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] mod_deflate w/reverse proxy

Posted by David Adam <za...@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au>.
Serge,

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Serge Knystautas wrote:
> I'm having trouble using mod_deflate to compress content that is going
> through my reverse proxy using apache 2.0.46.  All requests go to a
> default virtual host, and then I use RewriteConf/RewriteRule [P] to
> carve off certain hostnames to reverse proxy to another webserver.  We
> use this approach for testing, so normally everyone sees the regular set
> of files, but before deploying I can setup special hostnames to see a
> newer site version.

<snip config and examples>
> Beyond instantly telling me how to fix this, I'm mainly hoping for
> suggestions to diagnose why the filter would not get applied to the
> proxy requests.  Thanks in advance.

I ran into a similar problem with mod_gzip on 1.3. I found that
the 'mod_gzip_item_include handler proxy-server' configuration directive
fixed this - there might be something similar for mod_deflate.

Cheers,

David Adam
zanchey@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au