Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Rob West <ro...@nc.rr.com> on 2003/11/18 06:17:57 UTC

Problems building osworkflow example

I am trying to take Eric's suggestion and look at the osworkflow
example, but I'm running into a problem. When I do 'maven war', I get
messages about needing to download jars from Sun:

Attempting to download activation-1.0.2.jar.
WARNING: Failed to download activation-1.0.2.jar.
Attempting to download javamail-1.3.1.jar.
WARNING: Failed to download javamail-1.3.1.jar.
Attempting to download jdbc-2.0.jar.
WARNING: Failed to download jdbc-2.0.jar.
Attempting to download jndi-1.2.1.jar.
WARNING: Failed to download jndi-1.2.1.jar.
The build cannot continue because of the following unsatisfied dependencies:

activation-1.0.2.jar (try downloading from
http://java.sun.com/products/javabeans/glasgow/jaf.htm
l)
javamail-1.3.1.jar (try downloading from
http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/)
jdbc-2.0.jar (try downloading from http://java.sun.com/products/jdbc/)
jndi-1.2.1.jar (try downloading from http://java.sun.com/products/jndi/)

OK, so I go to Sun, accept the license, and download the jaf and
javamail zips. I unzip jaf and see activation.jar. After some trial and
error and reading of a page on the Maven website, I figure out that I
need to copy the jar to $MAVEN_HOME/repository and rename it to
activation-1.0.2.jar. That got rid of the 1st warning. Then, I unzip
javamail.

Here is the problem: There are 5 jars in the zip, and none of them are
named javamail. Four of them are in the lib dir. The other is in the
directory above. That one is named mail.jar. Is that the one? Do I just
need to rename it to javamail-1.3.1.jar?

Is there a better way?

Thanks,
Rob West
Turbine (and all things Jakarta) Newbie

RE: Problems building osworkflow example

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
Tim,

If you want to submit a ptatch to the building OSworkflow Example xdocs,
that would be great.  I would mention that this does mean that you are
overriding the version, but those jars don't change much..

Eric

Posted by Tim Müller-Seydlitz <tm...@nagler-company.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
Rob West wrote:

> OK, so I go to Sun, accept the license, and download the jaf and
> javamail zips. I unzip jaf and see activation.jar. After some trial
> and error and reading of a page on the Maven website, I figure out
> that I need to copy the jar to $MAVEN_HOME/repository and rename it to
> activation-1.0.2.jar. That got rid of the 1st warning. Then, I unzip
> javamail.

You should be copying it to
$MAVEN_HOME/repository/activation/jars/activation-1.0.2.jar

> Here is the problem: There are 5 jars in the zip, and none of them are
> named javamail. Four of them are in the lib dir. The other is in the
> directory above. That one is named mail.jar. Is that the one? Do I
> just need to rename it to javamail-1.3.1.jar?

Most likely yes mail.jar should be copied to
$MAVEN_HOME/repository/javamail/jars/javamail-1.3.1.jar

> Is there a better way?

Not currently.  The mucking about is required because of the licensing of the particular APIs.  There was talk at some stage of enhancing Maven to add the ability to click through the licenses for APIs such as these, but I don't think anything came of it.  It is not that big a hassle as you only need to do it once.

Scott
--
Scott Eade
Backstage Technologies Pty. Ltd.