Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com> on 2015/07/01 15:25:00 UTC

Next Avro release

Hi everyone,

It would be good to do another Avro release soon. I'm happy to create
a release candidate so we can vote on it.

What do folks think about releasing 1.7.8 vs. 1.8.0? There are very
few changes in the 1.7 branch, so it might be best to release 1.8.0
from trunk. There have been enough changes to justify a new minor
release I think. Are there any drawbacks to doing that?

The unresolved 1.8.0 issues are here:

http://s.apache.org/Cdt

And the unresolved 1.7.8 issues are here:

http://s.apache.org/5ShO

Thanks,
Tom

Re: Next Avro release

Posted by Marcin Białoń <ma...@bialon.net>.
Hi,

Could you please review the patch for AVRO-1673?

Thanks,
Marcin

Re: Next Avro release

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.
I did a similar fight with forrest a few weeks ago trying to get pig to
build in docker.
See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-4526 for the current draft of
that.
In this case it turned out to be a case where Forrest 0.8 would fail with
strange errors when ran under a "new" jvm.
Where "new" is java 6 or newer...

Niels

Re: Next Avro release

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Next Avro release

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Next Avro release

Posted by Thomas Sanchez <th...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
Thomas Sanchez

Re: Next Avro release

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

--
Sean

Re: Next Avro release

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Next Avro release

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Next Avro release

Posted by Svante Karlsson <sv...@csi.se>.
I'd like pull request on github #38 (C++) since currently it's not possible
to serialize chars > 127 to json if char is signed

it a oneline patch

/svante

Re: Next Avro release

Posted by Ryan Blue <bl...@cloudera.com>.
+1 for 1.8.0.

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Re: Next Avro release

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Next Avro release

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

--
Sean

Re: Next Avro release

Posted by Zoltan Farkas <zo...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Re: Next Avro release

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.
Hi,

I would say go for the 1.8.0

Note that there are a few issues that seem appropriate to include for
this one because they relate to a change in 'backwards compatibility":

- AVRO-1586 Build against Hadoop 2
  ( which should also fix AVRO-1453 Release version of avro-tools
compiled against hadoop2 )
- AVRO-1559 Drop support for Ruby 1.8

On a personal note I would like a 'Yes, commit' / 'No, won't fix'
choice from you guys regarding this proposal (Patch included):
   AVRO-1633 Add additional setXxx(Builder) method to make user code
more readable.

Niels Basjes

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 3:25 PM, Tom White <to...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> It would be good to do another Avro release soon. I'm happy to create
> a release candidate so we can vote on it.
>
> What do folks think about releasing 1.7.8 vs. 1.8.0? There are very
> few changes in the 1.7 branch, so it might be best to release 1.8.0
> from trunk. There have been enough changes to justify a new minor
> release I think. Are there any drawbacks to doing that?
>
> The unresolved 1.8.0 issues are here:
>
> http://s.apache.org/Cdt
>
> And the unresolved 1.7.8 issues are here:
>
> http://s.apache.org/5ShO
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

Niels Basjes