Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Pete Robinson <pe...@gmx.de> on 2008/02/28 19:59:45 UTC

Geronimo failure at startup - unable to bind rmi://0.0.0.0:1099/JMXConnector, UnknownHostException etc.

Hello All,

I'm a Geronimo / Linux Newbie.

I was having a number of problems with geronimo 2+ running on a Linux
installation on a laptop I've justed installed with SUSE 10.2.

I couldn't get the server to start. I kept getting various problems
around binding, although I have the same setup on another machine and it
works fine.

Example:

java.io.IOException: Cannot bind to URL [rmi://0.0.0.0:1099/JMXConnector]:

or...

05:03:56,173 ERROR [GBeanInstanceState] Error while starting; GBean is
now in the FAILED state:
abstractName="org.apache.geronimo.configs/j2ee-security/2.0-M6/car?ServiceModule=org.apache.geronimo.configs/j2ee-security/2.0-M6/car,j2eeType=GBean,name=JaasLoginServiceRemotingServer"
java.net.UnknownHostException: Vigor12: Vigor12
	at java.net.InetAddress.getLocalHost(InetAddress.java:1346)
	at
org.activeio.net.SocketStreamChannelFactory.bindStreamChannel(SocketStreamChannelFactory.java:93)

Basically, I couldn't get Geronimo to start. A number of people have
experienced the same as far as I can gather from forums I found.

I diagnosed the cause of my problem and would like to share the
workaround I implemented.

Diagnosis

Scenario: I am sitting in a wireless environment.

When I attach the laptop to my router, the server starts fine. When I
remove the cable and restart the network geronimo won't start. So,
geronimo was actually having problems locating the JMXConnector.

Solution/Work around

In the {geronimo-home-directory}/config/config-substitutions.properties,
I replaced the line:

PlanServerHostname=0.0.0.0

with

PlanServerHostname=127.0.0.1

Apparently in my wireless only environment, geronimo was unable to
locate JMXConnector. Even though I could ping 0.0.0.0.

Well, I hope that helps some poor guy who searches for daysin vain  for
a solution like I did. If not, I only wasted 15 minutes.

Cheers,
Pete