Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/01 00:24:44 UTC

Re: What do we say about Binaries, Packagers and Distributors? [Was Re: Did we ever reach consensus on support for Windows 2000]

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 3:36 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
> I think the topic has change to one that is important to discuss in advance of graduation.
>
> On Sep 29, 2012, at 2:49 PM, Wolf Halton wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Marcus (OOo) <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:
>>> Am 09/29/2012 10:27 PM, schrieb Wolf Halton:
>>>>

> <snip>

>>> Rob has posted the best arguments for this dicussion: numbers. ;-)
>>>
>>> Due to the (not really suprising) low numbers I support the suggestion from
>>> Armin: drop everything below 1%.
>>>
>>> Marcus
>>>
>> Me too, Marcus.
>> Also as Rob said, we might want to reconsider the phasing of "we
>> 'support' a given operating system," when what we can say accurately
>> is that we have tested AOO version 3.4.1 on some small number of
>> reference systems running the operating system with generally good
>> results. "Runs on Windows 7" is a more true statement than "Supports
>> Windows 7."
>
> These are all convenience binaries and with some effort anyone who wants to support any operating system is always free to take the official source code and build their own "downstream" or "package".

Well this would definitely be a different focus for OpenOffice, with
binaries the main form of client interaction in the past. I understand
where you're coming from with the emphasis on the source however.

> Getting this distinction into user friendly language is important. Maybe something like:
>
> "For the convenience of our users the Apache OpenOffice project (podling) provides installation packages which Run on:
>         Windows 7, XP and Vista.
>         MacOSX 10. ....
>         Linux ....
> As an Open Source project the official release of Apache OpenOffice is a source package including build instructions for the following platforms: ...."
>         Windows
>         MacOSX
>         Linux
>         FreeBSD

I'm looking at the pages for Apache Axis2C at the moment...

http://axis.apache.org/axis2/c/core/index.html

-- and --
http://axis.apache.org/axis2/c/core/docs/installationguide.html

Maybe at some point we could craft something similar like,

Apache OpenOffice project (podling) provides releases in two forms,
binaries which  run on:
         Windows 7, XP and Vista. [reasons why these particular
versions, state prerequisites]
         MacOSX 10. .... [reasons why these particular versions, prerequisites]
         Linux .... [reasons for versions, prerequisities]

and source which can be used to build on:
         Windows
         MacOSX
         Linux
         FreeBSD

by following the provided build instructions [link here].

I think it may confuse some people to use wording like -- "For the
convenience of our users..." when all they've ever downloaded is
binaries. I wouldn't want them to think at some point we would abandon
the binaries. Most users think of OpenOffice as something they just
install and run.

> We can distinguish between project provided builds and those made by third parties. See subversion's page. [1] Subversion only releases source. We can have similar rules for listing packages that we have for consultants.
>
> Distribution could be similar. The PMC would need to be responsible for assuring that packagers and distributors are appropriately using Apache trademarks. This would be checked and would need to be reviewed periodically. I think that it will be likely that packagers will be involved in the project so that oversight won't be difficult. Distributers and consultants will need to be checked.
>
> It's a simple rule all around. Demonstrate understanding of the AL, respect Apache Trademarks on your website, apply, and we will list you on an appropriate page in a non-discriminatory way.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>
> [1] http://subversion.apache.org/packages.html

>> --
>> This Apt Has Super Cow Powers - http://sourcefreedom.com
>> Open-Source Software in Libraries - http://FOSS4Lib.org
>> Advancing Libraries Together - http://LYRASIS.org
>> Apache Open Office Developer wolfhalton@apache.org

MzK

"Just 'cause you got the monkey off your back
 doesn't mean the circus has left town."
                    -- George Carlin

Posted by Rob Weir <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Sep 30, 2012, at 6:57 PM, RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2012/10/1 Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>
>

>> Maybe at some point we could craft something similar like,
>>
>> Apache OpenOffice project (podling) provides releases in two forms,
>> binaries which  run on:
>>         Windows 7, XP and Vista. [reasons why these particular
>> versions, state prerequisites]
>>         MacOSX 10. .... [reasons why these particular versions,
>> prerequisites]
>>         Linux .... [reasons for versions, prerequisities]
>>
>> and source which can be used to build on:
>>         Windows
>>         MacOSX
>>         Linux
>>         FreeBSD
>
> and Solaris?
>

>> by following the provided build instructions [link here].
>>
>> I think it may confuse some people to use wording like -- "For the
>> convenience of our users..." when all they've ever downloaded is
>> binaries. I wouldn't want them to think at some point we would abandon
>> the binaries. Most users think of OpenOffice as something they just
>> install and run.
>
> +1. This is one of those situations on which trying to make things clearer
> can obscure everything so we must be very careful with the wording.

Right. We cannot assume that Apache  "code words" have anything but
normal English meanings outside if Apache. We only confuse users,
journalists and others if we use specialized and subtle internal
concepts on public pages. We've seen this already with terms like
incubation and podling.   A better way to handle this education task
is via blog posts where we can explain these things in greater depth.
In fact I just did a blog post on the importance of the source code.

-Rob

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
2012/10/1 Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>

> Maybe at some point we could craft something similar like,
>
> Apache OpenOffice project (podling) provides releases in two forms,
> binaries which  run on:
>          Windows 7, XP and Vista. [reasons why these particular
> versions, state prerequisites]
>          MacOSX 10. .... [reasons why these particular versions,
> prerequisites]
>          Linux .... [reasons for versions, prerequisities]
>
> and source which can be used to build on:
>          Windows
>          MacOSX
>          Linux
>          FreeBSD