Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2004/07/02 01:26:29 UTC

Re: nominate ?

I would agree that both the reality and perception is that patches for enhancements are not often applied. But, throwing bodies at the problem is not the solution. People have to *want* to work on a project like Struts. Really, really, want it, and be willing to work for it. Candidates have to be ready and able to do what needs to be done and to make the time to do it. If someone were eager to have more of the enhancement patches applied, they'd be posting patches or "works for me" comments to the reports and cross-posting arguments on DEV as to why we should apply them. Anyone who did that, and who's been an active member of the community for six months or more, would definitely be (and have been) nominated.

In the past, when we have nominated people who did not follow this mold, they helped for a while, but soon fell away. Committers cannot be made, Committers must make themselves.

I'm sure moving to a Maven development environment will help increase participation. Now that Commons 1.1.3 is rolled, we can do Struts 1.2.1. With a stable release out the door, we can start on the reorganization for the 1.3.x series, which will be optimized for Maven and lighter-weight subproject releases.

Personally, I think creating subprojects will help even more than Maven. As it stands, moving the development of Struts 1.x forward is an exercise in frustration. We're being strangled by a gossamer web of dependencies.

-Ted.