Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Fabien Lesire <FL...@isabel.be> on 2002/03/20 15:06:36 UTC

Web application with my own authentication process

Hi,

I want use Struts to develop some web application but i would like used
Smartcard/Certificate Authentication Web Controller from my previous Web
Application (developed in my company).

How can i do this ?

thanks

Lesire Fabien
JAVA developement
flesire@isabel.be
IsaSoftware SA
13/15 Bd de l'Impératrice
B - 1000 Bruxelles
Web : www.isabel.be
DISCLAIMER : Confidential information may be contained in this message and
it may be legally privileged.  If you are not the addressee indicated in
this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person),
you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should
destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email. Please
advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent to Internet
email for messages of this kind.  Opinions, conclusions and other
information in this message that do not relate to the official business of
Isabel shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it. Messages and
attachments are swept by a virusscanner. If this message contains
password-protected attachments, the files have not been scanned for viruses
by the Isabel mail domain. Always scan attachments before opening them.

Re: Web application with my own authentication process

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Typically, people will place an object in the session that indicates
that the user is logged in. You can then either subclass the
ActionServlet to check each incoming request for that session object. If
it is absent, you redirect them to a logon page. More often, people
create a base Action that does the same thing. This makes it easier to
have authenticated and unauthenticated requestd, depending on whether
they extend the authenticated Action or not. The simplest thing is to
have create your own doPerform(...) method, and have the developers
extend that instead of process. Perform then calls doPerform

perform
        // Obtain logon
        Bean account = request.getSession().getAttribute(LOGON_KEY);
        if (account==null)
            return mapping.findForward(LOGON_FORWARD);
        return doPerform( ...

Also, please do not cross-post questions like this to the DEV list.

-- Ted Husted, Husted dot Com, Fairport NY US
-- Developing Java Web Applications with Struts
-- Tel: +1 585 737-3463
-- Web: http://husted.com/about/services