Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Alexander Thurgood <al...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/24 13:24:33 UTC

Mac OSX, Mysql native connector extension, and crashes

Hi all,

FYI

Trying to use the native mysql connector extension in any way
meaningful, e.g. even just setting up an ODB file to connect to a
running mysql db instance, causes AOO340m1 to crash, systematically.

Clear regression over all previous versions of OOo, but also over
NeoOffice and LibreOffice, which continue to function.

Bug reports have been opened.

Alex

Re: [EXT] Oracle MySQL connector (was Mac OSX, Mysql native connector extension, and crashes)

Posted by Alexander Thurgood <al...@gmail.com>.
Le 27/05/12 19:02, Reizinger Zoltán a écrit :

Hi Zoltan,

>> This will make the extension impossible to be installed in AOO>= 3.4
> This will not good move, the connector or AOO 3.4 has some problems,
> only in Mac versions.
> The extension works correctly at least for me, in windows and linux
> versions.

Ahh, hadn't realised that. How ironic. Say goodbye to your Mac db
aficionados then.

Posted by Alexander Thurgood <al...@gmail.com>.
Le 27/05/12 23:03, Ariel Constenla-Haile a écrit :

Hi Ariel,

> I guess now it's up to Oracle if they still want to make available
> a product they are no longer providing support.

Well if ODBC driver support is anything to go by, probably they will
not. I have just tried installing the Oracle/Sun provided ODBC tar ball
driver package on a 32bit Ubuntu machine, since the Ubuntu one isn't
even recognised as being installed on the system (despite it being there).

To say that the package has become lightweight is an understatement -
yes, you get the driver library *.so file, but you don't get the Setup
library, so when you call up your driver, it can't discover the
properties that it is supposed to support!

And don't get me started on Mac ODBC support, which is even worse. Try
running a 32bit driver on a 64bit operating system with a 32bit
application and see what happens - not a lot ;-)

So that leaves JDBC...ho hum...

Apologies for going off topic.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Reizinger,

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 07:02:09PM +0200, Reizinger Zoltán wrote:
> >>So I suppose, ultimately, the problem is one of communication by the
> >>AOOo project to the broader slice of the unwitting population less
> >>knowledgable about the decisions made earlier on in the year.
> >It seems people *do* still download that extension:
> >Downloads: Today: 100 | Week: 1,612 | Month: 5,404 | Year: 230,495
> >
> >I think that a good solution would be to upload a new version with the
> >description.xml modified to include a MAXIMAL version:
> >
> ><dependencies>
> >     <OpenOffice.org-minimal-version value="3.1" d:name="OpenOffice.org 3.1"/>
> >     <OpenOffice.org-maximal-version value="3.3" d:name="OpenOffice.org 3.3"/>
> ></dependencies>
> >
> >This will make the extension impossible to be installed in AOO>= 3.4
> This will not good move, the connector or AOO 3.4 has some problems,
> only in Mac versions.
> The extension works correctly at least for me, in windows and linux
> versions.
> Zoltan

In Linux x86-64 it has some issues:

- when creating a new database, testing the connection never works
- it displays all catalogs the user has rights, not only the one from
  the selected database
- try to open a table, nothing happens

I guess now it's up to Oracle if they still want to make available
a product they are no longer providing support.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: [EXT] Oracle MySQL connector (was Mac OSX, Mysql native connector extension, and crashes)

Posted by Reizinger Zoltán <zr...@hdsnet.hu>.

Posted by Alexander Thurgood <al...@gmail.com>.
Le 27/05/12 18:51, Ariel Constenla-Haile a écrit :

Hi Ariel,

> If the bug is on the extension itself, AOO developers could fix the C++
> code that was granted by Oracle to the ASF, but we cannot build it nor
> relase it: the extension relies on LGPL (the C++ connector) and GPL (the
> C connector) components.

Yes, I realise this, unfortunate though it is and I understand why and
how it happened, but basically, this has condemned major db usage on
AOOo to a long slow death, whether it be the mysql connector or the
postgres connector, both were external projects and so both suffer the
same fate. Back to Java or ODBC then with all of their performance and
feature limitations, ie. the situation of OOo 7 years ago.

> It seems people *do* still download that extension:
> Downloads: Today: 100 | Week: 1,612 | Month: 5,404 | Year: 230,495

Absolutely, if only because it still works with most of the previous
versions, forks, etc.

> I think that a good solution would be to upload a new version with the
> description.xml modified to include a MAXIMAL version:
>
> <dependencies>
>     <OpenOffice.org-minimal-version value="3.1" d:name="OpenOffice.org 3.1"/>
>     <OpenOffice.org-maximal-version value="3.3" d:name="OpenOffice.org 3.3"/>
> </dependencies>
>
> This will make the extension impossible to be installed in AOO >= 3.4

That sounds like a fair enough suggestion to me.

Alex

[EXT] Oracle MySQL connector (was Mac OSX, Mysql native connector extension, and crashes)

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Alexander,

Re: Mac OSX, Mysql native connector extension, and crashes

Posted by Reizinger Zoltán <zr...@hdsnet.hu>.
2012.05.27. 18:11 keltezéssel, Alexander Thurgood írta:
> Le 26/05/12 01:59, drew a écrit :
>
> Hi Drew,
>
>> I believe you missed an earlier decision by the group - that extension
>> is no longer supported. No reason really to open a bug report.
>
> No, I didn't ;-) but hell, I thought that seeing as it is still being
> provided for download on the AOOo extensions site and that nothing on
> there in relation to it says that it will probably no longer work, there
> is an expectation by people who previously used OOo and then upgrade to
> AOOo that the connector will continue to function.
>
> In other words :
> - if it is supposed to work, then the project should attempt to ensure
> that it continues to work ;
License incompatibility stopped us to develop further. (MySQL code C++
part has a GPL license, and this is incompatible to AL2)
If somebody want and can continue the development, can get the source
code to external repository, and could give to users as extension.
Within the AOO project it is not possible.

> - if it is not supposed to work, then the project should either put up,
> as a minimum, the fact that it is no longer supported on the extensions
> website, or else pull the extension completely - obviously, pulling the
> extension would upset those who still may have a use for OOo 3.2.1 or
> 3.3.0 (myself included).
I will put some words, about the stopped development, If I get the
commenting possibilities.
> So I suppose, ultimately, the problem is one of communication by the
> AOOo project to the broader slice of the unwitting population less
> knowledgable about the decisions made earlier on in the year.
Agree.
Zoltan

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Alexander,

Posted by Alexander Thurgood <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Thu, 2012-05-24 at 13:24 +0200, Alexander Thurgood wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> FYI
>
> Trying to use the native mysql connector extension in any way
> meaningful, e.g. even just setting up an ODB file to connect to a
> running mysql db instance, causes AOO340m1 to crash, systematically.
>
> Clear regression over all previous versions of OOo, but also over
> NeoOffice and LibreOffice, which continue to function.
>
> Bug reports have been opened.

Hi Alex,

I believe you missed an earlier decision by the group - that extension
is no longer supported. No reason really to open a bug report.

//drew