Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by "Jason J. W. Williams" <ja...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/06 01:34:01 UTC

Hello,

We're using ATS as a forward caching proxy, and we're having an issue with
a particular site. Requests for a specific URL are always coming back 304
Not Modified when run through ATS.

The problem is that the target server is actually responding with 200 and a
data payload, ATS is then taking that response and returning 304 Not
Modified to the client instead of passing the 200 response + payload along
(also, there is no If-Modified-Since in the client request to ATS).

We've tried setting the target domain to action=never-cache in
cache.config, but that doesn't seem to help. Any pointers as to why ATS
would be translating a 200 response into a 304 (and how to stop it) would
be much appreciated.

-J

Re: 200 responses transformed into 304 Not Modified

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

> We're using ATS as a forward caching proxy, and we're having an issue
> with a particular site. Requests for a specific URL are always
> coming back 304 Not Modified when run through ATS.
>

> The problem is that the target server is actually responding with 200
> and a data payload, ATS is then taking that response and returning
> 304 Not Modified to the client instead of passing the 200 response +
> payload along (also, there is no If-Modified-Since in the client
> request to ATS).
>

> We've tried setting the target domain to action=never-cache in
> cache.config, but that doesn't seem to help. Any pointers as to why
> ATS would be translating a 200 response into a 304 (and how to stop
> it) would be much appreciated.
>

> -J

J,

I remember you reported this issue on IRC, and that you were using
Traffic Server 2.0.1 - please don't do that ;)
Anyway, did the upgrade to 3.0.x or 3.1.x help you with this?

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org