Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ha...@ooo.lanl.gov> on 1996/02/08 20:05:11 UTC

Last call for patches

Just a reminder. The patch dir for 1.0.2 already contains over 20
patches. You have ~1 day left to get anything you want considered
for 1.1b into that dir.

If you take the most recent of each patch, and discard #83 which
becomes obsolete if you're happy with #68, then they should all
apply cleanly against 1.0.2.

I'll collect votes from tomorrow on, for 1 week (if 1 week
proves necessary :-)

rob

Re: Last call for patches

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>.
On Thu, 8 Feb 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:

> Just a reminder. The patch dir for 1.0.2 already contains over 20
> patches. You have ~1 day left to get anything you want considered
> for 1.1b into that dir.

Or, presumably, 1.1b1, since no doubt there will be a couple rounds of
bugs to fix before we want to call it 1.1. (though hopefully it won't
take as long as 1.0 did... but still, I think a couple weeks of public
testing and bug fixing and testing some more wouldn't hurt it. We don't
want our "stable" release to be buggy, now, do we?)

> If you take the most recent of each patch, and discard #83 which
> becomes obsolete if you're happy with #68, then they should all
> apply cleanly against 1.0.2.

Yeah... BTW, I've volunteered to build 1.1b1, and I'd still like to do
that, if possible.

More news on the Netscape Keep-Alive front. (those of you who like to
believe life makes any sense should stop reading - things get *really*
weird from here):

Okay. I had a 68 byte HTML file. If I took out one character, it caused
it to hang while the server waited for another request. So I did as Roy
Fielding suggested and added a "Warning: your browser sucks"-like header.
But somehow it backfired. Suddenly, it took 125 bytes to make it work.
(the header, btw, was more than the 57-byte difference). Which was the
result opposite of what I expected.

Yet if I take the same HTML file, and make it a text file - meaning one
more byte in the content-type header (I'm using asis files so that nothing
else changes), it only takes 67 bytes. Likewise, if I take out the
Last-Modified header, the requirement jumps up to 112 - which, btw, is the
exact size (112-67=45) of the subtraction of the Last-modified header.

So now I'm just scratching my head and going "huh"?

I have to admit I'm at a loss. The <100 byte solution offered by patch 90e
seems to be the only thing that works (unless you don't send a
Last-modified header, in which case it needs to be 112. Arrgh), and I
think I'm going to take Netscape Navigator by its teeth and hang it in an
iron maiden.

Anyone have *any* clue what's going on? I think Rob McCool is on this
list... Rob, do you know anything? Do any of the NCSA people (they're here
too, aren't they?) know anything, from when they did Keep-Alive? Does
anyone know anything?

(the answer, of course, is probably no. Figures.)

--/ Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us> /--------/ Lefler on IRC