Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Niels van Tongeren <ni...@cmg.nl> on 2001/05/16 11:51:05 UTC

Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to port [...]

Hello,

I have the same problem some other modperl-visitors have, namely the error
"(48)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to port 8093", when
having started a long running external program and stopping and starting the
webserver. I have read the "Performance Tuning"-article on
http://perl.apache.org/guide/performance.html. I copied the "Complete Fork
Example" and I thought to have found the solution in the line
"$r->cleanup_for_exec(); # untie the socket". However, when trying to run
the program I got the error:

"[..] null: Can't locate object method "cleanup_for_exec" via package
"Apache" at [...]/test.pl line 19."

I have installed "Apache-SubProcess-0.02" and checked the file
"SubProcess.pm". In there I cannot find the method "cleanup_for_exec". I
cannot find a newer version of Apache-SubProcess either. I do not know what
I am doing wrong. Does anyone have a clue?

Thanks in advance,

Niels van Tongeren

Re: Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to port [...]

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
On Wed, 16 May 2001, Niels van Tongeren wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have the same problem some other modperl-visitors have, namely the error
> "(48)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to port 8093", when
> having started a long running external program and stopping and starting the
> webserver. I have read the "Performance Tuning"-article on
> http://perl.apache.org/guide/performance.html. I copied the "Complete Fork
> Example" and I thought to have found the solution in the line
> "$r->cleanup_for_exec(); # untie the socket". However, when trying to run
> the program I got the error:
>
> "[..] null: Can't locate object method "cleanup_for_exec" via package
> "Apache" at [...]/test.pl line 19."
>
> I have installed "Apache-SubProcess-0.02" and checked the file
> "SubProcess.pm". In there I cannot find the method "cleanup_for_exec". I
> cannot find a newer version of Apache-SubProcess either. I do not know what
> I am doing wrong. Does anyone have a clue?

Doug still didn't release a new version of this module. May be you should
nudge him :)

The patch is available from here:
http://forum.swarthmore.edu/epigone/modperl/fendfrerherd/Pine.LNX.4.30.0102131657470.32683-100000@stas.extropia

mailto:stas@stason.org   http://apachetoday.com http://eXtropia.com/