Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Mark J Cox <ma...@ukweb.com> on 1996/07/11 08:54:49 UTC

1.1 Apache and SSL [Long]

Theres been a bit of debate rolling around on the apache-ssl list over the
last few days about the status of the SSL patches.

Because of the large changes between 1.05 and 1.1 adding SSL to the new
version isn't trivial and hasn't yet been done by Ben or Sameer.
Apache-SSL-US customers are getting irate about not getting an upgrade (or
having to pay for it).

A number of months ago the consensus on this list was that protocol
extraction would be added to Apache (thus making the SSL additions a
single module).  A few people mentioned that we should integrate in the
SSL hooks and move the CVS archive out of the USA.

At the moment we have

* Apache-SSL (Ben)
	= Apache1.0.5 + Bens Hooks + SSLeay
	Source Available
	Can use outside USA, Free (Ben's copyright), No Verisign certificates

* Apache-SSL-US (Stronghold, Sameer [and Graphics 440 a VAR])
	= Apache1.0.5+ Bens Hooks + Sameers Hooks + SSLeay + RSAref +
	  Sameers CAtools
	Source Available
 	Can use only inside USA, Commercial, Verisign certificates

* Sioux (Thawte)
	= Apache1.0.5+ Thawte Hooks + SSLeay + RSAref + CAtools
	Source Available
	Can use in/out of USA, Commercial, Versign certificates

[RSAref needed only in the USA and incurs licensing fee around $100 a
server sold]

One message raises a few interesting issues and I've attached it.

Mark.

-------------------------

Re: 1.1 Apache and SSL [Long]

Posted by Paul Richards <p....@elsevier.co.uk>.
Ben Laurie writes:
 > > This setup is perfectly legal since the US folks never have anything to
 > > do with the SA server so there's no collaboration.
 >
 > But that's essentially what is happening now. Except the US version doesn't
 > implement any non-exportable bits. If its going to then the protocol
 > abstraction would have to be in. And the protocol abstraction needs threads.

Not really since the "Apache group" doesn't officially distribute SSL,
you and Sameer independantly release your own versions. Neither are the
same as each other or the mainstream Apache release. Personally, I
don't have a big problem with this but if Apache wants to integrate SSL
into the main  "official" version then a mirror server is the only way
around the US munitions law.

Re: 1.1 Apache and SSL [Long]

Posted by Paul Richards <p....@elsevier.co.uk>.
David Robinson writes:

 > At the risk of sounding repititious,
 > a. Wouldn't having an SSL Apache outside the US prevent any US individuals
 >    from working on Apache?

Not if there was still a US server. The way FreeBSD works is that the
official releases are US only and come from WC but there's a mirror
site maintained in S. Africa that has separately implemented versions of
all the non-exportable bits.

Re: 1.1 Apache and SSL [Long]

Posted by Paul Richards <p....@elsevier.co.uk>.
Mark J. Cox writes:
 > Paul Richards wrote:
 > > We wouldn't move cvs out of the US, you'd just have another one somewhere
 > > else to do non-US releases from.
 >
 > Then we have the scenario where nonUS people can't access the US tree and
 > US people can't access the nonUS tree.  So committing a bug fix to both
 > trees will be a problem.

Non-us Folks would still work on the US tree. I'll have to take a look
at the SSL code and thhink about this. It may not be separate enough for
this to work the way I thought it might. If it's not in separate files
then there'd be problems.

Re: 1.1 Apache and SSL [Long]

Posted by Mark J Cox <ma...@ukweb.com>.
Paul Richards wrote:
> We wouldn't move cvs out of the US, you'd just have another one somewhere
> else to do non-US releases from.

Then we have the scenario where nonUS people can't access the US tree and
US people can't access the nonUS tree.  So committing a bug fix to both
trees will be a problem.

Mark

Re: 1.1 Apache and SSL [Long]

Posted by Paul Richards <p....@elsevier.co.uk>.
Roy T. Fielding writes:
 > > At the risk of sounding repititious,
 > > a. Wouldn't having an SSL Apache outside the US prevent any US individuals
 > >    from working on Apache?
 >
 > Putting it all into one CVS base, and then moving the CVS base outside
 > of the US, would certainly preclude my involvement while the ITAR

We wouldn't move cvs out of the US, you'd just have another one somewhere
else to do non-US releases from. As long as no SSL code leaves the US
then it'd be OK. The non-US guys would "independantly" re-implement those
bits of SSL that are done on the US server.

Re: 1.1 Apache and SSL [Long]

Posted by Mark J Cox <ma...@ukweb.com>.
On Thu, 11 Jul 1996, David Robinson wrote:
> a. Wouldn't having an SSL Apache outside the US prevent any US individuals
>    from working on Apache?

I thought it would only prevent them from working on the SSL hooks, if
we keep them in a separate file then that would be fine.  I don't know
enough about the ITAR stuff though.

Mark

Re: 1.1 Apache and SSL [Long]

Posted by David Robinson <dr...@esi.co.uk>.

On Thu, 11 Jul 1996, Mark J Cox wrote:

> Theres been a bit of debate rolling around on the apache-ssl list over the
> last few days about the status of the SSL patches.
>
> Because of the large changes between 1.05 and 1.1 adding SSL to the new
> version isn't trivial and hasn't yet been done by Ben or Sameer.
> Apache-SSL-US customers are getting irate about not getting an upgrade (or
> having to pay for it).
>
> A number of months ago the consensus on this list was that protocol
> extraction would be added to Apache (thus making the SSL additions a
> single module).  A few people mentioned that we should integrate in the
> SSL hooks and move the CVS archive out of the USA.

At the risk of sounding repititious,
a. Wouldn't having an SSL Apache outside the US prevent any US individuals
   from working on Apache?

 David.

Re: 1.1 Apache and SSL [Long]

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
In my view, people only have a right to be irate about "service" if they
are paying for it; and there may be a perception there that the money they
paid to sameer for apache-SSL included support, which to them means fixing
bugs on a timely basis and incorporating new features from the non-SSL
distribution as quickly as possible.  If the customers have unrealistic
expectations, then the vendor either steps up to the challenge or corrects
the situation.

Protocol abstraction is on my project plan for 2.0, along with
multithreading and autoconf being the other two "biggies".  Perhaps if Rob
has time he can comment on how well protocol abstraction could fit into
his apache-XX prototypes.

	Brian