Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/07 00:31:46 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Javadocs for current releases - CANCELLED

Whilst preparing to release the Javadoc archives I discovered that the
Javadocs we voted to release don't include all the modules.

The httpmime and httpcore-nio modules are not included in the
client/core Javadocs.
And although I created them as separate archives, I stupidly forgot to
put them in the directory so they weren't part of the vote

It looks like we actually need two sets of Javadocs, one for Maven
(which is what I started creating) and another for release downloads
which are combined Javadocs.

The combined Javadoc archives have different names too.

Sorry for all the noise.

I'll try again - hopefully better luck next time!

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 07/03/2010, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 23:31 +0000, sebb wrote:
>  > Whilst preparing to release the Javadoc archives I discovered that the
>  > Javadocs we voted to release don't include all the modules.
>  >
>  > The httpmime and httpcore-nio modules are not included in the
>  > client/core Javadocs.
>

> HttpClient does not depend on HttpCore NIO, so there is no need to
>  include its javadocs. Moreover, I would consider linking to the HttpCore
>  javadocs at the hc.apache.org as sufficient. There is no need to bundle
>  javadocs of dependencies.
>

>  > And although I created them as separate archives, I stupidly forgot to
>  > put them in the directory so they weren't part of the vote
>  >
>  > It looks like we actually need two sets of Javadocs, one for Maven
>  > (which is what I started creating) and another for release downloads
>  > which are combined Javadocs.
>

> Do not worry about javadocs for the web site for the time being. They
>  can be deployed without a release vote at any point of time.

I'm not thinking of the website yet.

The non-Maven release archives have different names from the Maven
archives; I think it's important that the Javadoc archives have the
same name prefix as the binary archives.

Creating aggregate Javadoc jars automatically creates the correct name prefix.

There was actually a further problem, in that the archives did not
have N&L files in them.
Perhaps not critical for documentation, but I'd like to sort that out.

However I'm having problems at the moment trying to persuade Maven to
execute the antrun task to do this as part of the jar process. It may
have to be done as a separate step.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.