Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "Hunter, Zellyn" <zb...@cdc.gov> on 2004/01/22 16:37:04 UTC

Overriding the default Logger class

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a question that has already been answered - I tried
reading the docs, searching the mailing list archives, and checking
bugzilla.

We're trying to extend the base Logger class with our own variant, to
add a couple of methods.

We pass our own factory into the getLogger methods, which works in most
cases.  However, it appears that any loggers configured individually
through the log4j.properties file show up as the original Logger class -
they're created at configuration time.

It appears that the correct way to do this would be to change the
RepositorySelector on the LogManager.  However, the configuration from
log4j.properties happens in a static block - the call

OptionConverter.selectAndConfigure(url, configuratorClassName,
LogManager.getLoggerRepository());

is made before you have a chance to set a new RepositorySelector.

Is my analysis correct?  If so, is there a simple way to make my whole
log4j setup use a different class instead of Logger?

Thanks,

Zellyn Hunter

Zellyn Hunter
CDC Information Technology Support Contract (CITS)
Software Engineer 4
404-639-7574
404-639-7721 (fax)