Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Sergey Chistovich <se...@insuma.de> on 2004/03/10 19:44:46 UTC

[users@httpd] setting charset for a static file

Hi all.

I'm in trouble with charsets.
When asked for a static html file, where does Apache take charset
from? I suppose it gets it from locale, right?

My situation is as follows: my server has english locale, and I can't
affect it.  But I have an html file in cyrillic (koi8-r) encoding.
How can I tell Apache to send proper Content-type header for this
file?

As a workaround, I tried META tag, but it doesn't work, at least for
Opera. As I understand, it shouldn't work, because a browser should
prefer http header to META tag.

Apache 1.3.26 / Debian, if it woes matter.

Thanks in advance,

	Sergey.