Posted to dev@dubbo.apache.org by Minxuan Zhuang <z8...@gmail.com> on 2019/03/19 10:52:08 UTC

Release Apache Dubbo Admin(Incubating) 0.2.0 [RC2]

Hello Dubbo Community,

This is a call for the vote to release Apache Dubbo  Admin(Incubating)
version 0.2.0

The release candidates(RC2):
0.2.0:
*https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/dubbo/dubbo-admin/0.2.0/
<https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/dubbo/dubbo-admin/0.2.0/>*

Git tag for this release:
0.2.0:  *https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo-admin/releases/tag/0.2.0
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo-admin/releases/tag/0.2.0>*

Hash for the release tag:
0.2.0: 4ba387f78d2ecdd11b0c034b7c0bbe86a176fc6a

Release Notes:
0.2.0:
*https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo-ops/releases/tag/0.
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo-ops/releases/tag/0.1>2.0*

The artifacts have been signed with Key: DA2108479B0C1E71, which can be
found in
the keys file:

*https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/dubbo/KEYS
<https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/dubbo/KEYS>*

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours or until the necessary number
of votes are reached.

Please vote accordingly:

[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove with the reason

Thanks,
The Apache Dubbo (Incubating) Team

[CANCEL] [VOTE]: Release Apache Dubbo Admin(Incubating) 0.2.0 [RC2]

Posted by Minxuan Zhuang <z8...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache Dubbo Admin(Incubating) 0.2.0 [RC2]

Posted by Minxuan Zhuang <z8...@gmail.com>.
Hi:

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 1:45 PM Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > These dependencies are all development time dependencies, which can be
> > found in "devDependencies" section of package.json file.
>
> Anyone who compiles the source will get these and be unaware of them, that seems a little problamatic to me.
>
> > For node-notifier, which is also a dev dependency, I am not sure how
> > it is used in dubbo-admin. But I tried to remove it and build it,
> > everything looks good. I think it can be removed.
>
> That would be best I think.

To avoid things like this to happen again, I think we need to add some
check when voting for the release.

I tried to do the following:

$ cd dubbo-admin-ui/node_module
$ grep -rin --include=**/*LICENSE "GPL" .
./node-forge/LICENSE:2:GNU General Public License (GPL) Version 2.
./node-forge/LICENSE:8:If the GPL suits your project better you are
also free to use Forge under

It shows the node-forge module has contains GPL license, but looking
into the license file, it is actually dual licensed with GPL (Category
X) and BSD-3 clause (Category A). So I think it is fine.
We may add more keywords mentioned in the Category X list.

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache Dubbo Admin(Incubating) 0.2.0 [RC2]

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 5:35 PM Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I also did't find the echarts dependency in this release candidate. It
> > is introduced in this commit[1] just 6 hours ago, it is impossible to
> > be included in the release candidate.
>
> npm ls just list what installed, which may not be helpful, what the best way to work out what version the release depends on?

Not quite familiar with front end, what I normally do is to delete the
node_modules directory and type "npm install" again, this command
should only install what is listed in the package.json.

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache Dubbo Admin(Incubating) 0.2.0 [RC2]

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 3:41 PM Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >    I run "npm ls | grep echarts" on tag 0.2.0, but gets no result. dubbo
> > admin use echarts 4.0.4 to support metrics on develop branch, but the
> > feature is not in the release
>
> I’m looking at the source release not the tag. It shows on the very first line. Perhaps I might be picking up the wrong version?

I also did't find the echarts dependency in this release candidate. It
is introduced in this commit[1] just 6 hours ago, it is impossible to
be included in the release candidate.
Moreover, the echart dependency is not a npm dependency but a javascript link.

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo-admin/commit/1faaec0b747604897c4a9af6c67222744231ecd7

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache Dubbo Admin(Incubating) 0.2.0 [RC2]

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Ian Luo <ia...@gmail.com>.
It's not yet, sorry about that :-D

-Ian.

Posted by Ian Luo <ia...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ian Luo <ia...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache Dubbo Admin(Incubating) 0.2.0 [RC2]

Posted by Ian Luo <ia...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache Dubbo Admin(Incubating) 0.2.0 [RC2]

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache Dubbo Admin(Incubating) 0.2.0 [RC2]

Posted by Minxuan Zhuang <z8...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I did a search in Github [1], it looks quite a lot, some of them made
> releases. How to deal with these releases?

AFAIK Most of these would not be the primary release / offical release.

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 3:43 PM Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > If that is the case, I doubt that there are lots of ASF projects could
> > not make releases.
>
> There are very few Apache projects that use npm as their primary build tool.

I did a search in Github [1], it looks quite a lot, some of them made
releases. How to deal with these releases?
I think this might need some broader discussion.

[1] https://github.com/search?l=JSON&p=2&q=org%3Aapache+%5C%22eslint%5C%22&type=Code

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache Dubbo Admin(Incubating) 0.2.0 [RC2]

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache Dubbo Admin(Incubating) 0.2.0 [RC2]

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Having a closer look I see that “npm ls” shows a dependancy on echarts@4.2.1-rc1. This is unreleased code [1]. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://github.com/apache/incubator-echarts/releases/tag/4.2.1-rc1

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache Dubbo Admin(Incubating) 0.2.0 [RC2]

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 11:02 AM Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> -1 (binding) as this release seems to includes a GPL (a category X) dependancy. [3]
>
> After compiling I also noticed it pulls down material that is under copyright and I don’t believe we have permission to distribute [1][2]
>
> Re copyright of that text:
> "In Praise of Idleness and Other Essays (1932) – Copyrighted in the United States until 2027 due to Renewal R320904"
>
> Only dumb luck I found that btw (I was checking for GPL licensed stuff). I assume this is a 3rd party file in now of the download node modules.
>
> Everything else is good.
>
> I checked:
> - incubating in name
> - signatures and hash correct
> - DISCLAIMER exists
> - LICENSE and NOTICE file
> - Not all source files have ASF headers.
> - no unexpected binary files
> - can compile from source
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

These dependencies are all development time dependencies, which can be
found in "devDependencies" section of package.json file.
According to [1], the devDependencies won't go into production.
wordwrap and cliui are transitive dev dependencies, which is used by
popular libraries like webpack and eslint. If that is the case, I
doubt a lot of the front end projects will be affect.
IMO, the devDependencies are just dependencies that help to build the
distribution, and downstream users won't be able to consume them.

For node-notifier, which is also a dev dependency, I am not sure how
it is used in dubbo-admin. But I tried to remove it and build it,
everything looks good. I think it can be removed.

> 1. ./dubbo-admin-ui/node_modules/wordwrap/test/idleness.txt

➜  dubbo-admin-ui npm ls wordwrap
dubbo-admin-ui@1.0.0
/Users/xxx/work/apache-dubbo/svn-release/dist/dev/incubator/dubbo/dubbo-admin/0.2.0/apache-dubbo-admin-incubating-0.2.0-src/dubbo-admin-ui
├─┬ eslint@3.19.0
│ └─┬ optionator@0.8.2
│   └── wordwrap@1.0.0
└─┬ webpack@3.12.0
  └─┬ uglifyjs-webpack-plugin@0.4.6
    └─┬ uglify-js@2.8.29
      └─┬ yargs@3.10.0
        └─┬ cliui@2.1.0
          └── wordwrap@0.0.2

> 2 ./dubbo-admin-ui/node_modules/cliui/node_modules/wordwrap/test/idleness.txt

➜  dubbo-admin-ui npm ls cliui
│ └─┬ yargs@8.0.2
│   └── cliui@3.2.0
└─┬ webpack-dev-server@2.11.3
  └─┬ yargs@6.6.0
    └── cliui@3.2.0

└── node-notifier@5.4.0

[1] https://docs.npmjs.com/specifying-dependencies-and-devdependencies-in-a-package-json-file
--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache Dubbo Admin(Incubating) 0.2.0 [RC2]

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I vote with: +1 release the software

I also checked LICENSE and NOTICE file in the binary distribution with
bin-distribution-check.sh and all look good.

 Are release files in correct location? Yes
 Do release files have the word incubating in their name? Yes
 Are the digital signature and hashes correct? Yes
 Does DISCLAIMER file exist? Yes
 Do LICENSE and NOTICE files exists? Yes
 Is the LICENSE and NOTICE text correct? Yes
 Is the NOTICE year correct? Yes
 Un-included software dependencies are not mentioned in LICENSE or NOTICE? Yes
 License information is not mentioned in NOTICE? Yes
Is there any 3rd party code contained inside the release? If so:

 Does the software have a compatible license? Yes
 Are all software licenses mentioned in LICENSE? Yes
 Is the full text of the licenses (or pointers to it) in LICENSE? Yes
Is any of this code Apache licensed? Do they have NOTICE files? If so:
 Have relevant parts of those NOTICE files been added to this NOTICE file?

 Do all source files have ASF headers? Yes
 Do the contents of the release match with what's tagged in version
control? Yes

The following files are only in GitHub but not in src release, which
looks good to me.

Only in incubator-dubbo-admin: .git
Only in incubator-dubbo-admin: .gitignore
Only in incubator-dubbo-admin: .mvn
Only in incubator-dubbo-admin/dubbo-admin-distribution/src: LICENSE
Only in incubator-dubbo-admin/dubbo-admin-distribution/src: NOTICE
Only in incubator-dubbo-admin/dubbo-admin-distribution/src:
bin-distribution-check.sh
Only in incubator-dubbo-admin/dubbo-admin-distribution/src: licenses
Only in incubator-dubbo-admin/dubbo-admin-ui: .gitignore
Only in incubator-dubbo-admin/dubbo-admin-ui/src: .gitrepo
Only in incubator-dubbo-admin/dubbo-admin-ui/src/assets: .gitkeep
Only in incubator-dubbo-admin/dubbo-admin-ui/static: .gitkeep
Only in incubator-dubbo-admin: mvnw
Only in incubator-dubbo-admin: mvnw.cmd

 Are there any unexpected binary files in the release? No
 Can you compile from source? Are the instruction clear? Yes

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache Dubbo Admin(Incubating) 0.2.0 [RC2]

Posted by Minxuan Zhuang <z8...@gmail.com>.
Hi,the script is used for checking the binary dependency licenses, so I put
it in the binary release

Posted by Ian Luo <ia...@gmail.com>.
I vote with:

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 11:29 AM Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Also this in [1] is not a good idea. The date needs to the the date of release not the current date.

Agree, it should be static number Copyright 2018-2019 The Apache
Software Foundation.

> I believe this has come up before on this list?

Yes, there was a discussion about the copyright in the official website.

--
Best Regards!
Huxing

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache Dubbo Admin(Incubating) 0.2.0 [RC2]

Posted by Jun Liu <li...@apache.org>.
+1 to release

I checked:
* both source and binary signatures are good
* both have incubating in name
* DISCLAIMER, LICENSE and NOTICE exists
* All UTs can pass on my Mac OSX with JDK 1.8
* I deployed the Admin locally and checked some pages opening them in browser, work fine.

Jun

Posted by Minxuan Zhuang <z8...@gmail.com>.

Re: Release Apache Dubbo Admin(Incubating) 0.2.0 [RC2]

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi,