Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org> on 2017/10/11 13:00:41 UTC

[DISCUSS] Trim down karaf distributions for 4.2

The point that makes me raise this problem is that the karaf default
distribution uses the Apache versions of xerces and xalan.  Fwiw, the
latest xerces release is from 2011 and the latest xalan from 2014, so
they're not the most active.  In particular, xalan latest release does not
implement jaxp 1.4.

One additional point is that those libraries stuff is broken on Java 9, so
one option would be to remove it alltogether which bring us much closer to
Java 9 support ;-)  Seriously, I'm not sure I want to spend too much time
allowing pluggability for specs/implementations while the only real
implementation provider is the JDK itself.  That's really a lot of work for
no real benefit.

In addition, the default distribution still install some "legacy" features
such as aries-blueprint, shell-compat, etc...

So here's a list of propositions for 4.2:
  * remove all libraries for specs / impls from apache-karaf distro
  * remove support for endorsed / ext libraries in the <library> element
and wherever used
  * remove aries-blueprint and shell-compat from default distro
  * remove a few features from the karaf-minimal distro. I'm not sure which
one exactly, but I think we should get the zip under 10 Mb.  Maybe only
keeping jaas, shell, feature, ssh, bundle, config, deployer and log, also
removing equinox / logback bundles...

Thoughts ?

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Re: [DISCUSS] Trim down karaf distributions for 4.2

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

> On Oct 11, 2017, at 4:19 PM, Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> I agree, but this needs to be addressed in a Java 9 way, and that's not
> through endorsed libraries which are not supported anymore.  We'll need a
> jigsaw module for xerces.
> Btw, is there an issue raised on OpenJDK ? They could maybe cache the value
> in a static variable ?

Honestly, I don’t remember anymore.  :( It’s been several years since I looked into this.   I did just check and the System property call is still in the CoreDocumentImpl constructor  in the latest 1.8 JDK so if it has been logged, it hasn’t been addressed.    I can look more next week when I’m back from Portugal.

That said, I did a quick look through CXF and I think I can reduce the issues a bit there.    Most of the created documents fall into a  few use cases:

1) WSDL/Schema parsing - this is startup so I’m not TOOO concerned about the property call.

2) Create “unattached” elements that are traversed later.   Things like the “detail” elements of faults, various header objects (number of these greatly reduced in 3.2) that are written out, etc…

3) SAAJ - per spec, nothing we can really do here.  Luckily we don’t need to do this for default use cases, but anyone doing SAAJ things are impacted

4) SOAP headers  on incoming messages - we store various things on the DOM for handling later.

5) JAXB “xsd:any” and text/xml attachments - both create Documents to store it.  Nothing we can do here.

I believe I can handle the #2 cases with a static “empty Document" that is just used as a factory for elements.   I’m going to experiment a bit more with this next week.   Alessio did a bit of work a while ago to reduce the impact of #4 by only doing that if really needed, but there are some popular use cases (WS-Addressing, WS-Security) that would hit this anyway.

Obviously CXF isn’t the only thing impacted…. Anything that creates DOM’s would be impacted.   Camel routes with XML, XSLT transforms, etc….

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: [DISCUSS] Trim down karaf distributions for 4.2

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>.

------------------------

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: [DISCUSS] Trim down karaf distributions for 4.2

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Yeah, I got your point.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] Trim down karaf distributions for 4.2

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Fair enough. I understand your point. Let us first cut 4.1.3 and I will deal
with 4.2.0.M1 just after.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] Trim down karaf distributions for 4.2

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] Trim down karaf distributions for 4.2

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>.
Have a M1 could help discovering issues for Java 9 too.  The basic things
work already afaik, so as soon as I've fixed the issues outlined in this
thread and  the build passes on Java 9, I could cut a M1.

--
------------------------

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] Trim down karaf distributions for 4.2

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi OLiver,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] Trim down karaf distributions for 4.2

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.

Posted by Grzegorz Grzybek <gr...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non binding)

regards
Grzegorz Grzybek

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
+1, it makes sense.
Cheers,
--
Andrea Cosentino
----------------------------------

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Fully agree. +1 as soon as we provide roughly the same features to the end users.

Regards
JB

Posted by Steinar Bang <sb...@dod.no>.
+1 (non-binding)

Sounds like a good idea! :-)

Re: [DISCUSS] Trim down karaf distributions for 4.2

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
+1 Like the idea

regards, Achim

--