Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Boris Stoyanov <bo...@shapeblue.com> on 2022/02/02 08:55:04 UTC

Re: GSoC22

Hi guys, just ping you on this one. Please add you ideas in GitHub and label them with ‘gsoc2022’.

From: Boris Stoyanov <bo...@shapeblue.com>
Date: Monday, 17 January 2022, 16:40
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org <de...@cloudstack.apache.org>, users@cloudstack.apache.org <us...@cloudstack.apache.org>
Subject: GSoC22
Hi everyone,

GSoC 22 has been announced and the timeline is now available. Last year we had great success with our students having them all completed their assignments and I hope this year comes with even better results. From Feb 7th organizations can start submitting their applications for the program and I think now it’s good time to start preparing. If nobody objects, I’d like to step up and coordinate our GSoC involvement this year. I’ll help with info and support for students and mentors if they need to, also will be responsible to report back to you results and make sure we take the most of the program.

Please checkout the timeline here:
https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline

Also have a look at the general information at:
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com

To submit your idea please create a GitHub issue at the official ACS project with label “gsoc22”, we’ll later review and work with the ASF guys to make this list available for applications. You will also need to register as a mentor. To become a mentor you don’t need to be committer or PMC, you need to have an idea and the will to support and guide a student developing it. Registering is also easy, please send an email to private@ and ask to be recognized as such, I can’t think of a reason for someone to be dropped by this, it’s more or less anti-flooding mech. I believe individuals that have mentored already does not need to apply again, will get back to you if it turns otherwise.

The idea:

  *   Aim at low hanging fruits – we have a limited time for completing this project and most of the time it will be somebody just starting his career so think of something achievable
  *   Spend some time defining it good and appealing, after all it needs to catch an eye of an applicant

The tech:

  *   Avoid domain specific tech – expecting a student to be aware of specific technology or product integration in Cloudstack is not really realistic, or pick something that can be easily understand fast
  *   Stick to common tech – think of a task related to particular framework we use, or enchasing a common functionality this way it will sound more familiar to people and it will pick more eyes, eventually candidates

Changes this year:

https://opensource.googleblog.com/2021/11/expanding-google-summer-of-code-in-2022.html

TL;DR:

There’s three new changes this year, some of which can be taken into consideration:

  1.  Eligibility: the only requirement now is to be above 18, you don’t need to prove you’re student now. This will open up the door for more candidates
  2.  Projects come with different sizes – we can now submit large and mid size projects, please indicate this in the github item

     *   Mid - ~175hrs until August
     *   Large - ~350hrs until November

  1.  Increased Flexibility – projects can be now 12 or 22 weeks, despite having strict deadline like last year (end of August), looks like it can be extended to 22week now.

Please directly add your project idea, and of course if you have questions I’ll be available to help.

Thanks,

Bobby.

Re: GSoC22

Posted by Ivet Petrova <iv...@shapeblue.com>.
Morning all,

Firstly - thanks Bobby for volunteering and organising the GSoC2022.
I am writing just to support and share my opinion. This initiative is quite important as it attracts new users to our community. We need to grow the CloudStack family and get more developers engaged, who can help us on the coding, but also on promoting the technology.
So I also wanted to encourage all to submit ideas and to volunteer for mentors.

Kind regards,

Re: GSoC22