Posted to xap-dev@incubator.apache.org by Cliff Schmidt <cl...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/11 19:04:48 UTC

IRC meetings (Fwd: Extensible Ajax Platform (XAP) Project Update)

(If I haven't mentioned this before, it's definitely a good idea for
all committers to subscribe to general@incubator and do their best at
reading the relevant threads; however, in case, you missed anyone
missed this...)

I thought I'd forward an incubator thread here since it involves a
discussion about whether a regular IRC meeting is a good idea.  See
Noel's, Geir's, and my thoughts about it below.

The short version of my opinion is:
A regular IRC session as an open Q&A or focused tutorial on some
aspect of the current code base doesn't seem like a bad idea to me;
but a working meeting to discuss development direction or
architectural ideas is probably a bad idea.  While everyone agrees
that it is unacceptable for decisions to be made on IRC, Geir brings
up a good point that he's seen situations where decisions
unintentionally get made on IRC in the midst of such discussions.

Cliff